Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help in finding new Archtop bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pnchad, Jan 3, 2006.

1. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Like an idiot I lost it and can't find it in any search I try.

Someone has come out with a new high-end acoustic bass (guitars too) guitar - archtop or X braced I thought. Also saw some clips of a name player playing one acoustically.

Anyone remember??? Ribbeke??? :(

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    yeah, it was Ribbecke.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Certainly Bobby Vega's fill-in role wqith TOP is his most high profile gig of late, yet his career is quite storied and his status somewhat legendary: he has played with Santana, Jerry Garcia, Sly and the Family Stone to name a few. Primarily a pick player, he is known as the "other" stutterin' 16th note playin' bassist...and in fact it has been said by both Jaco and Rocco that Bobby Vega was a major influence in the development of their style.

I saw him at last year's NAMM show and immediately went home and began working on my pick-style chops. The man is simply amazing: great tone and incredible feel.

The Ribbecke Bobby Vega Halfling Bass is just as incredible. Easily the finest ABG I have ever played (and I have played a few!) Ribbecke is a somewhat legendary luthier himself whose custom made acoustic guitars fetch prices which even make Fodera's seem cheap (in the world of custom acoustics, luthiers such as Ribbecke, MacAllister and Jeff Traugott have instruments whose starting prices are in excess of $20k...)
    The Ribbecke bass is his "production" model...mind you a limited production, but somewhat more affordable at around $6k. From what I understand it now features a custom electronics package made by Rick Turner just for that bass as well.

The halfling is designed to have the power and projection of a flat top acoustic with the clarity and tonal complexity of an archtop...and so it's top is "half-arched" (hence the name). Gorgeous to look at, beuatiful to hear, and like heaven to play...that all I can say...I want one too!

Max

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

6. The Halfling looks like a wonderful instrument. There are a couple of other builders doing archtop basses as well. I've been lusting after this one at LAG for a while, built by Bill Moll:

http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/ismoll1.html

[​IMG]