1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help in identifying a 60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lnichols, Oct 8, 2013.

1. No pictures, no serial #. This is a bass that was stolen in the late '70s. I'd like to figure out what I actually had and now find something similar.

I traded a '66 or '67 Fender Precision for a (well done) refinished Fender Jazz Bass in either late '69 or early '70. So, I'm sure it was pre-1970. It wasn't a '60, because it didn't have the stacked pots. It did not have the old-style reverse tuners. It did have the thumb rest on the E-string side, rather than on the G-string side, although I suppose that 'could' have changed during the refinish, but there were no extra holes in the pick guard. The neck width at the nut seemed quite thin. That and the Jazz Bass sound I got from that bass is that I'd like to replace.

I do not remember if it had block markers or dot markers. I also don't remember if it had binding on the neck. I think I remember that it had dot markers and neck binding... but I don't know if Fender ever shipped any basses in the '60s like that. I could be remembering wrong, too. The body was a cool purple metal flake finish. I don't think Fender shipped any that color - that's why I think it was refinished.

I've looked at several Jazz Bass "History" web sites, but I haven't found info on when block markers and binding were introduced. Anyone know? Or have suggestions on how I can figure out what year this bass might have been?

Thanks,

Leni

2. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There's a couple of inconsistancies in your description:

The forward turning tuners came out in 66. The neck would have binding, in early 66 still had dot inlays, then mid 66 scwitched to block inlays.
    All the 60's basses had G mounted finger rests. The E mounted finger rests didn't happen until later 73.

4. Thanks. That may mean that it was an early '66 bass - and the thumb rest got moved during the refinish - and maybe a new pick guard was installed. I don't recall the color of the pick guard.

Thanks again!

Leni

5. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Can you remember the tuners? Late '65 to early '67(?) Fender used the infamous "Lollipop" style tuners. A couple of years for those and Fender went back to the 'clover' type tuners.
    If you remember the Lollipops or 'paddle' type on there it would get your bass in those couple of years.

6. I'm pretty sure they were the 'clover' type tuners.

L.