Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help in picking a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pete&petelives, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    I have a Samick 5-string artist series bass as my backup bass and I've been itching to trade it in for a Fender Jazz of some type for a long time. I finally went to my local music store and the guy said I could either trade it in for a 4-string standard Fender Jazz MIM new, or a Fender Jazz MIM Deluxe 4-string used. The standard one was a solid bass, nothing compared to the '75 reissue or anything like I'm planning to get for my main bass but it still had the classic jazz bass tone I love. However, the used Fender Jazz Deluxe MIM was an absolute piece of crap, the neck was bowed, the sound was seriously screwed up and one of the tone knobs wasn't working. So I figured I'd go try some other Fender jazz deluxes at the other music store in town. I found one other one and it sounded great except that when I slapped it, it made this weird clicking noise. So I'm just wondering if this is the way with all the Fender Deluxes, cuz I would just pay the difference at that other music store to buy a new Fender Deluxe MIM jazz. But I'm really big on popping and slapping so I wouldn't buy it if does that clicking all the time.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I doubt if they all click when slapped. Just get out and check out more basses. Buy the one that sounds best that you can afford. Whether it is made in Mexico, Japan, or the USA.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    You were probably hitting the pickup poles with the strings. It's an easy adjustment to lower the pickups.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    or put electrical tape over the pickups

5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    And/or put a small strip of transparent tape over the poles on neck pickup.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    ?!

You can do that?! Well, back to my SX so I can do that...

Play them and get what you think sounds best, because you're the one who will be playingit for a while.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Or just stop that slapping silliness.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    :bassist: :smug: :p

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    clicking just screams fieldy. either the pickups are too high and its hitting the pickups
    OR your just slapping way too hard.

10. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I have 2002 Jazz Deluxe which is excellent - good sustain, even tone, superb action. Before this I had '96 which just didn't sound so good or play so well - but it was still a decent bass. I never had any problems with the electronics or pickups.