Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help in selecting a new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yakesm, Jan 25, 2006.

1. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    Hi,

I am currently playing through a Ampeg BA -115 combo and would like to add a stack and use the combo as both my practice amp, so I don't have to lug it around, and my monitor for larger gigs. I need some advice on equipment. I have 1x15 4 ohm cab rated at 300 Watts RMS and would like to either run my XLR line out preamped from my combo ampeg to either a Head or poweramp. Keep in mind a tight budget. Questions:

1. Can I go XLR combo out to XLR in on a power amp without a problem?

2. If #1 is not possible would a preamp / power amp be the best option or would a head be better?

3. I would like to eventually add a 4x10 4 ohm cabinet in addition to the 1x15 so I would prefer a stereo poweramp.

Comments and suggestions would be most welcome.

2. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    Need some help,

Bump

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Answers to:
    #1+2, Yes, you can plug right into a power amp. the owners manual says "11. LINE OUT: This jack supplies a posteq, balanced line level signal for connecting to a house sound board, recording unit or external amplifier. The amplitude of this signal is adjusted by the Master control" make sure you get an amp with a "gain" control for each channel. so you can balance the extention speaker with your combo volume.

#3 a stereo power amp is a good idea for two dissimilar cabs for balancing volumes.

4. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    4th question If I run the power amp and cabinet(s) by itself do I need a preamp or can my Digitech RB 100 function as the preamp ie nixing the ampeg and running 1/4" to pedal - 1/4" from pedal to power amp?

5. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    Thanks McRelly, any answers to question #4?

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you have a variable volume output from the pedal, you will get a useable signal into the amp, but a preamp is still a good idea in the long run to give you "tone" controls and higher output voltage to the amp.

I'm assuming that most pedals, especially battery operated, I don't think that one is, most pedals have a slightly lower max output volume. therefore you may not get maximum volume potential from the amp.

but, yes it should work, just make sure your amp gain controls start out near minimum for safety of your cabs.