Help in Selecting a new rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by random bassist, Jan 21, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    I live in southern Fl, so i need a hard rosin, but i really want one with a good tack. I've been raised on Pops, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a rather well refined good rosin. I usually play in a large group format, lots of people, and usually many winds and percussion. You know the full orchestra setting, but im the only bassist. So i gotta have a tacky rosin that speaks. But my problem is that im also in a small chamber group and pops really doesnt seem to be all that delicate and isnt great for much of my chamber music. If any one that can enlighten me I would be much obliged.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Rosin is a pretty cheap experiment (compared to strings anyway)

I Like Carlsson a lot. It has plenty of bite but isn't nearly as soft as Pops. Nor does it sound as harsh as Pops.
  3. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Carlsson huh? ive heard alot about that one. If its got good bite and isnt as harsh i suppose i should try it. thanx for the suggestion.
  4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If one is trying a bunch of different rosins is it best to clean all the other rosin off the bow each time?

How would one do this effectively without damaging the hair or bow
  5. Here's a pretty good thread on this topic.

My $.02 = Kolstein All-Weather works best for me in a variety of situations.

Another consideration is your bow hair. White? Black? Salt 'n Pepa? I think, all things being equal quality-wise, black gives you the best bite and lasts longer too.
  6. bassbo

Jan 27, 2005
    I still use the same rosin that my teacher, Bert Turetsky introduced me to back in 66. Petz #3 or 4. made in Austria. Works for me.
  7. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Just got some Carlsson.
    A noticeable improvement from Pop's in my opinion.
    Maybe it was the new bow.
    Maybe it was all the practicing lately......
  8. Finnesse

Feb 28, 2005
    I, too, am a Florida bassist, in NE Florida. I have found that the Petz bow rosin, #3, is of the best consistancy for both indoor and outdoor applications. It has the right bite and lasting capability, regardless of the weather conditions, which frequently change in this neck of the woods.
    One word of advice, though. Do not make the mistake of leaving the rosin in a closed-up automobile during a hot day, as I did once. The roisin will crystalize on you, and the green box will be nearly impossible to open without breaking it.
    All in all, however, it is a good performing product. It is a little hard to find here in Jacksonville, but is available on-line.
    Bass-ically yours,
  9. Supersensitive's Clarity Winter rosin is a good choice. I'm in Central Florida (Lakeland, Orlando, Tampa) and love it. Supersensitive's based in Sarasota and are a bunch of really nice people!