Help initiate my blues ears to some jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by magnaton, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    New York
    Hello!

So I've been a long-standing lover of the blues. It's what got me into bass in the first place and something about those melodic structures resonate deep within my bones. I've typically shied away from jazz since it's harder to know what I'm listening to at times and can get a little overwhelming. But I've caught the odd jazz tune now and then that's been really interesting -- I recently stumbled across Ray Brown trio stuff which I love!

So, I was hoping to ask you folks for some recommendations for songs/ albums/ Spotify playlists that'll expose me to some standards -- particularly stuff that someone of my listening tendencies can get into.

Tb please help me (gently) open my mind to this new-to-me world :)

design likes this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    My recommendation to you is Billie Holiday. Her music is really a great bridge between the blues and jazz, in my opinion. :)

onosson, Alex Bass, HolmeBass and 7 others like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Get yourself some Sonny Rollins. Much of his expansive catalog is blues-based stuff. Tunes like "Tenor Madness" (1956, with Coltrane) and "Sonnymoon For Two" (1957) are good examples.

4. Billie Holiday is a great suggestion.
    Also Miles Davis’ ‘Kind of Blue’ album which is GREAT, and very accessible, and also the biggest selling jazz lp of all time. Paul Chambers is the bassist.
    Ray Brown is always tasty, as is Ron Carter. Most of their work was for other leaders.
    Check out Jaco Pastorious’ first album, not to everyone’s taste, but many people love it (as do I).

MrLenny1, onosson, HolmeBass and 5 others like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure

magnaton likes this.
  6. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Great question and there should be a ton of great responses in here soon! :)

Here's one contribution: Anything by Les McCann and/or Eddie Harris! They are bluesey jazz musicians of the highest caliber -- check out Compared to What, Swiss Movement or any of their solo work... so good!

Bunk McNulty and magnaton like this.
  7. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney

8. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

Polfuste, magnaton, bkbirge and 3 others like this.
  10. magnaton likes this.
  11. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    A LOVE SUPREME A LOVE SUPREME A LOVE SUPREME infectious basslines on that whole album

Polfuste and magnaton like this.
  12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Mingus Big Band 93

magnaton, HolmeBass, sowilson and 3 others like this.
  13. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
  14. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of...
    Fats Waller - Handfull Of Keys
    Django Reinhardt - Classic Early Recordings
    Coleman Hawkins - The Bebop Years

Off the top

magnaton, sowilson and garp like this.
  15. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Charles Mingus. Ray Brown. Both are staples as bass player band leaders. I never get tired of Thelonious Monk.

Asking for jazz recommendations is like asking for rock recommendations. There’s about 400 sub genres that you may or may not care for. So maybe some blues orientied Jazz would be a good place to start. Soon you’ll be wanting to hear all the fun chord substitutions in your favorite blues songs.

16. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi -
    Personally I'd start with T Bone Walker and Charlie Christian for their jazzy approach - it's still musically in the blues world for the most part but should be a good intro . Then I'd move on to Horace Silver [ "Song for my father" in particular ] or the Modern Jazz quartet as their work is very accessible yet still definitely , jazz . For newer artists again I would stick with the more accessible folks like Tom Scott - Ronnie Laws - Herbie Mann - Jim Hall etc before dipping my toes too far into the " deeper " waters as mentioned by most above .

magnaton, HolmeBass and Bunk McNulty like this.
  17. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed Guest

Mar 8, 2013
    I'll be watching this thread. I'm a blues / classic rock lover, but "Kind of Blue" is what caught my jazz ear.

magnaton, design, jmlee and 2 others like this.
  18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Check out some Charlie Hunter or Robben Ford ( especially the Blue Line).

magnaton and interp like this.
  19. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The New Mastersounds and Medeski, (Scofield), Martin & Wood are both pretty accessible jazz groups for a blues listener.

magnaton and Bioflava like this.