1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help-input jack on my warwick thumb keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jimmy462, Dec 10, 2006.

1. jimmy462

jimmy462

Nov 2, 2005
    Tennessee
    i have been through 2 input jacks in the last 6 months..this is not natural.
    both jacks have been switchcraft.
    here is the picture of it.

allparts-longjack-st.

does anyone have another recommendation of maybe a different brand? or a clue to why they keep breaking? i keep great care of my instument and am using Monster cables as well.

so i need to buy yet another one and am not sure where to turn:bawl:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Monster may actually be your problem. The jack is slightly larger and has been known to damage other jacks on occasion.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Agreed!

The Monster cable is rough on an open frame jack but it's pure murder to an enclosed jack, which is prone to problems under the best of conditions.

Tara Labs speaks with forked tongue.

I have a washburn that is a very decent bass but it was designed with an enclosed jack and I relocated the jack to the face of the bass in order to use an open frame Switchcraft. I've had no more problems after three failures with enclosed jacks, and that's without the additional stress of a monster cable.

To the original poster: Either change over to an open frame jack and ditch the Monster cable, or you may as well start ordering replacement jacks two or three at a time. Don't trust ANY bass with an enclosed jack without a backup instrument in a gigging situation. They will fail and they will do it at the worst possible time, in keeping with Murphys law.:)

4. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    I replaced the input jacks on my G&L L-2000 and L2500 with EMG acoustic guitar ultrajaks . They hold the 1/4" plug in place from 3 sides instead of 1 . Sturdy now with no problems .

5. jimmy462

jimmy462

Nov 2, 2005
    Tennessee
    thanks for the help guys..anyone have a link where i can buy one of these better jacks that you speak of?

6. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    I had to get Guitar Center to special order the Ultrajak from EMG . Also , they don't flush mount but protrude from the body of the bass as they are designed for acoustic guitars to replace the combination endpin that holds the strap and the input jack . It doesn't bother me but take a look if you can find one first . They do hold your plug very securely , though . It's a great idea that I'm suprised no other manufacturers make . Inside the jack are 3 springs that hold the plug . Not only does it hold the plug more securely but it also gives plug more surface area contact .

7. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    +1 on the Washburn! I have an XS-5 and the barrell jack is a nightmare!

8. theres your problem, seriously monster are known to make the jack ends on there cables oversized so they go tight into your bass, however this is actually stretching the jack.