1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help! is a diy high gloss finish possable? how?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maskedman72, May 20, 2011.

1. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    i have a bass i would like to re-finish myself but i know nothing.

would it be possable for me to do a high gloss finish myself? if so, how would i do it? i am guessing just brush on a laquer many many times?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Reranch 101 has good info too, especially for the novice, but yes, it is absolutely doable...

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's doable but it's not gonna be painless. There's lots of application, sanding, leveling, buffing -- and learning as you go. I'm happy to have a guy who's been at it for years as a neighbor so I can leave the high gloss jobs for him.

4. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    so can anybody tell me what products to use? the bass has a clear coat on it now that i did with a brush 20 years ago and looks like hell. how do i remove this clear coat and after i remove it do i just get any old type of clear coat in a rattle can and spray it on? what if i want to stain the wood then apply the clear, will that change anything? how many coats of clear will i need to do? do i have to sand between coats? if yes, with what grain? i have searched for these answers but i only see general statements like " it is easy you will learn alot" but no real instruction.

5. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    There's a lot of good stuff in the forum linked above.

People tend to answer very specific questions on this forum but you will get less response if your questions cover a lot of broad areas and require an explanation of an entire process that can be found elsewhere. Some of the questions you have will depend on what exactly it is you are spraying, such as whether it will adhere to your existing finish.

If you want to stain the wood you'll need to get to bare wood.

6. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    yes, i am going to remove the existing finish and take it to the bare wood. ok if i could ask 1 question it would be what type of rattle can gloss to apply? there are water based and petrolium based ect.. i dont know what i need to use.

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    If I were you I'd get whatever the Guitar Reranch was selling. I have a finish guy I work with so I don't use rattle cans. Maybe someone else here will have a strong opinion about which one is best. Reranch has tinted cans so if you want a tinted finish that is another reason to use their product.

8. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    ReRanch is fantastic, I've used their products for a couple of my own basses and a few guitars for friends.

Read some of the stickies, go slow, and have a bit of patience. It will turn out awesome.

9. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars