1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Is a Fender Bassman 100 amp any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by napski, May 3, 2006.

1. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    I was looking to get a new amp and called my local music shop. I was looking to spend under $500 for now since I am only practicing at home and with a band (not playing out...yet). But I still need something that's good at home and enought to be hear with drums, etc....something I can feel and hear. I have a Fender Jazz bass and looking to play rock and slap bass (maybe explore jazz later on).

Now, my local shop recommended a new Fender Bassman 100 amp (its a combo unit, not just a head by itself) for about $350.

Is this a good deal? Any recommendations on other good amps in the price range of $500?

Thanks all!

-Napski

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That won't be anywhere near enough for rehearsing with a rock band, let alone gigs. I don't even think the Bassman 150 would be enough in most cases, but it might work. If you want a combo in that price range, look at Ampeg BA115, G-K Backline 115, maybe Ashdown, and the Roland Cube 100. If you like the Hartke tone, one of those might work too. Better yet, if this will be your only rig, get an Avatar cabinet (www.avatarspeakers.com), either a 1x12" or 2x10", and the best head you can find with whatever cash you have left.

3. I used a Fender Bassman 150 for practice and sold it after awhile. I had it constantly clipping to be heard, and even then it was hard to hear.

I use a 450 watt head, of course, I don't turn it all of the way up, but the Fender wasn't cutting it.

4. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    It doesn't have to be a combo. I'm just trying to get a feel from everyone out there who has more experience than I do with amps.

I am checking out all the suggestions...even if I have to get a seperate head and speakers.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You guys must be practicing at unproductive ear-splitting levels and gigging similarly. Buy your drummers some Hot Rods for practice.

The Bassman 100 should be fine for practice and small gigs unless your band is too loud. I practice with my full band with three guitars and drums with a Trace Eliot Boxer 30.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Combos are extremely handy, I relied on them for decades. Now I have a small (but mighty) 210 cabinet and two different heads I use for different reasons (one 50 watt vintage for tone one 160 watt modern SS for gigging). If you're looking for the most volume in a small combo look for something with a 15" speaker and at least 150 watts, hopefully more like 200+ watts. Peavey brand combos are great for bigtime volume in a small package. I also like Fender, and Laney has some nice powerful combos, too. But Peavey is were I'd look first if I were in your shoes. You get substantially more for your money with used gear - look at the classifieds here and on e-Bay, Craigslist, and other resources. Nice thing about most combos is they have an external speaker jack that can give you more volume and versatility.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Not true. My last couple of bands have practiced at fairly modest volume most of the time, and my Carvin PB-100 1x10 -- almost identical specs to the Bassman 100 -- was never enough on its own when going up against drums and either a guitar and keys or two guitars. With one guitar and drums, it was just barely adequate. (With an Avatar B210 as an extension cab, it was more than adequate though, and sounded great.)

But some of this depends on the acoustics of the practice space. My current band played in an acoustically basement for awhile that required much more power than one would think for such a small room. My Roland Cube 100 was enough -- at settings that would rattle pictures off the wall in my house.

That said, I think your Peavey recommendation is great. Those 1x15" combos are huge bang for the buck, and I've always liked the tone.

8. Hey Napski,

I used to have a Bassman 25, but in a blinding fit of stupidity, I sold it...it was an awesome little practice/coffee house amp, and was suprisingly "full" sounding for its size. Later I was in a local shop and saw the new Bassman 100, and decided to try it to do a comparison. I used an MIM precision, just like I have at home. It was quite a let-down: not only was it nowhere near as "full" sounding, but it also tended to clip quite easily, even at fairly low levels. I hope, for Fender's sake, that this was just a defective unit.

I also realized then that a jump from 25w to 100w was not noticeable enough to fill my needs in terms of volume. I ended up going with a 200w, 2x10" Yorkville xm200t, and I really love it (although it is a bit of a pain to lug around...no handles, 65lbs). Even at 200w, it still BARELY cuts it with the rock band I play in, and I now understand what others on this site mean when they say "you can never have enough power!"

Good luck with your search

9. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I have the fender bassman 100 and have made comments in other treads, I like it and I play with some very loud guys (only practices for gigs I use an Eden 550). I am playing at full volume and an aphex bass exciter which I think really makes it sound bigger than it is. At first, I was thinking of returning it but when I got the exciter I decided that it's a great portable setup for practice (24 lbs) and loud enough. I also have a GK150E combo that sounds better but it also costs almost three times more and I wouldn't want to push it as hard.

10. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Peavey makes good dependable gear. They make some decent combos too If you decide to go that way they make a good 2x10 combo 200 watts ect gets plenty loud and can be found used for under 300.00 usually. Also you might be able to find a combo 300 300 watt 1x15 but it only does 300 watts with a 4 ohm extension speaker attached to the external speaker out. But you could get an Avatar neo 410 4 ohm versionand a peavey Max 700 Or FireBass700II head and be set for a while power wise.about 475 watts @4 ohms. And if you add another 4 ohm cab later you would get the full 700 watts.