1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! is it possible to plug headphones into a bass amp head without a headphone jack, and live.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avocett, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Avocett

Avocett

Mar 8, 2020
    For more info here is the situation. I've got someone local offering an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro bass head for a stupid low price, they aren't a musician and have no music gear, and I don't have a speaker cabinet I can plug it into at the moment. I'd like to buy it, because who doesn't want a cheap SVT, but I want to test it somehow. Read the manual and don't see a headphone jack, nor any mention of them. I also know enough to know to NEVER plug headphones into the speaker output jack of a 1100 watt amp.

Is there any safe quick way to test this thing without killing my ears, or phones?

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not really

Balog, tekhedd, dkelley and 9 others like this.
  3. If you're in the U.S & near a Guitar Center, you could ask the seller to meet you there. Try it with the cabinets available there, be aware of the Impedance.
    If you're nice about it you'll buy the cabinet that sounds best with the amp.

4. There's SVT's and SVT's, svt's and more than a few svt's.

5. Avocett

Avocett

Mar 8, 2020
    Dang, yeah "not really" was kind of what I was afraid of. For the price I might just buy it anyways because even having someone repair it would probably be worth it. Seller described it "all the lights turn on when I plug it in" so at least I know it's not totally dead.

Guitar center thing is a good idea, but the guy doesn't live anywhere near one :( plus, got to think of the covids.

InhumanResource and Raoul_Duke like this.
  6. Lights turning on is too far from a diagnostic for me. If you could find any cab at all it would be preferable to faith.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Lights turning on means very little.

Do you have any idea how much a repair could cost on that amp? I do, I can repair it myself, and I still wouldn't make that kind of a bet.

Bring a cabinet along to test with, maybe borrow one from a friend?

mike57, Balog, dkelley and 7 others like this.
  8. Avocett

Avocett

Mar 8, 2020
    How much are we talking? they are asking $200.

I don't know anyone local I could borrow from, might be worth just buying some on Craigslist or used at a music store really quick. Could always return or re-sell if the deal falls through.

Thanks for all the help on this. If only the dang thing had a headphone jack.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  9. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Bring a cab.

dkelley and Raoul_Duke like this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    They sell for approx. $600 used.
    Worst case, you could easily spend more than the cost of a working used version on this unknown amp.
    I'll be the 4th; bring a cabinet.

Reedt2000 and Raoul_Duke like this.
  11. Whale guy

Whale guy

Jul 12, 2018
    My main amp is a SVT 7 pro. Not really in love with it. It's just not warm sounding which is what Im looking for. Love the class D circuits and the lighter weight. My backup is an old 1000 watt solid state Hartke that sounds so much better but weighs a zillion tons.

Long way of saying that you may be just as happy if you wait, save up, and buy what you love.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  12. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Dude...sorry, but pass on it. You dont know if its working and dont have a cab to find out. It could cost more to have it fixed than its worth. Its not like its some super valuable rare amp.

GreyMark, Gearhead17 and Raoul_Duke like this.
  13. Avocett

Avocett

Mar 8, 2020
    yeah I’m getting that impression. If I can find the means to test it I might nab it, but as it is from the awesome people on here, could be more effort and money than it’s worth.

thanks to everyone who replied.

Gearhead17 and Raoul_Duke like this.
  14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Rent or borrow a cab from someone, and yes, get the proper impedance cab so you don't wreck the amp before you buy it. Don't forget to bring a speaker cable - not a guitar patch cord - to hook the cab up to the head.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Even if it has a headphone jack that may not help you since it may be sourced pre power amp.

Really, you could take a bath on this if it goes wrong.

Balog, wraub, Rip Van Dan and 3 others like this.
  16. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    IMO the 7 pro and 6 pro sound very similar. The 6 pro weighs about a zillion pounds.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  17. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I took this same risk on a similar style of head, and it had problems. I can’t sell it and it is so expensive to fix that I’d be better off buying another functional one used.

Try it with a cabinet prior to purchase.

agedhorse likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The SVT 6 Pro is an EXCELLENT amp. I don't get too attached to gear. But one of my few regrets is selling my SVT 6.

If you can possibly dig up even a monitor wedge speaker, go try it out (albeit at low volumes).

If you're able to snag a working SVT 6 for $200 it'll be worth it. If it works and you don't love it, I'll pay you what you have in it (plus a little gas money) and pay you to ship it to my house immediately. You can't lose. If you do like it, keep it and rock the crap out of it.

Again, any bass cab or full range PA cab will do for low volumes. (I wouldn't risk a guitar cab even at low volumes.)

If you get it, PM me and I'll tell you a few things I learned about that head along the way.

19. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    ok it's a solidstate head.. repairing it is going to be expensive.. sounds like if you pay $100.. look for it to cost $600-700 to fix..

20. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    This is why I love Talkbass....../

Whale guy and TheReceder like this.