1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aroc, Jun 27, 2004.

1. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    My friend wants to sell me this stuff:

Eden cab 8x10 for $400 (it has a blown speaker)

Eden WT400 for $600

8x10+WT400+30-band EQ+Behringer Compressor+Rack for $1300

I'm thinking about definetly getting the cab, anyone know how much the replacement speaker will be and if I can fix it myself? If the amp is versatile I might get it, but I'm concerned that it won't be loud enough or have the right tone. I say this because the seller liked to slap and I don't. Of course this setup might be a good stepping-stone and I could upgrade the amp as I go along. Any thought on this?

Arick

2. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Okay, after reading many reviews I have decided that this amp probably sounds awesome. Anyone know about replacing speakers and if it is something I can do myself?

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    $400 for the cab looks like a good deal. Probalby $50-$100 to replace the blown speaker(be sure there is only one blown). The rest of it doesn't look so great to me. For the $900 difference you can get a much better amp. $600 is too high for the WT-400 by itself and the rest is not really needed, just more stuff to haul around. Is the cab 4 or 8 ohms?

4. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
  5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You should know if it's 4 or 8 before you buy it. If it's 8 you can buy a WT800 for about $900 and have a smoking rig. If it's 4 you'll have to look at other alternatives. Also, if it's 8 I'd stay away from a WT400 because you'll only be pushing about 220 watts. If you're not into spending $900 for an amp right now you can find a SWR SM-400S for about $450 and be pushing 500 watts into 4 or 8 ohms and it would sound great with that cab. Another alternative would be a GK 1001RB-II for $650 shipped brand new!! 700 watts and only weighs 18 lbs. Also a great sounding head.

6. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I have thought about the WT800. I would love having that. I would be willing to spend that much, but I'd have to save up for it. Makes me wish I didn't spend so much on school that I just quit :p Maybe I will sell my drum set... anyway thanks for your input. I will probably get the cab and research into head options. I might ask for a lower price on the WT400 and sell it and upgrade later. Or I might get a WT800.. man I really want a WT800 now. :crying:

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    If it's a 4 ohm cab you won't be able to use the WT800. Keep that in mind before you purchase. If it's a 4 cab the WT400 would be ok because you would get the full 400 watts out of it. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the WT400 if it's in real good shape.

If it's a 8 ohm cab you're primed and ready to go to hook up a WT800.

8. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Hmm, the site says:

So I assume it can use 4 Ohms?

And when you say WT800 for about $900 is that used? Any good online place to buy Eden that you know of?

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The cab is either 4 or 8 ohms. NOT BOTH!! It depends on how it was ordered.

Here's a SWR SM400S with a case for $499. A MUCH better head than the WT400 IMHO.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3733017616&rd=1

10. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Ahhhhh. Okay I will ask him what the Ohms today and then figure out what head I want. Thank you for your help NeedMoreBass!

11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Good place for used gear besides eBay is www.bassgear.com. There is SWR SM400 on there now for $400. 400 watts into into 4 or 8 ohms!!

12. I'd say for that cabinet, if you choose to go with it, you should use a preamp/power amp setup. If you like the Eden tone, go with a Navigator Preamp and then get a 1,000 watt power amp. Component systems like this seem more complicated than just getting a head, but they offer much more flexibility and power for about the same cost. My opinion.

13. Simone Bastardi

Simone Bastardi

Dec 23, 2005
    Holy jamoly! That 8x10 is 225lb.