Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aroc, Jun 27, 2004.

1. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    My friend wants to sell me this stuff:

Eden cab 8x10 for $400 (it has a blown speaker)

Eden WT400 for $600

8x10+WT400+30-band EQ+Behringer Compressor+Rack for $1300

I'm thinking about definetly getting the cab, anyone know how much the replacement speaker will be and if I can fix it myself? If the amp is versatile I might get it, but I'm concerned that it won't be loud enough or have the right tone. I say this because the seller liked to slap and I don't. Of course this setup might be a good stepping-stone and I could upgrade the amp as I go along. Any thought on this?

Arick

2. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Okay, after reading many reviews I have decided that this amp probably sounds awesome. Anyone know about replacing speakers and if it is something I can do myself?

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    $400 for the cab looks like a good deal. Probalby $50-$100 to replace the blown speaker(be sure there is only one blown). The rest of it doesn't look so great to me. For the $900 difference you can get a much better amp. $600 is too high for the WT-400 by itself and the rest is not really needed, just more stuff to haul around. Is the cab 4 or 8 ohms?

4. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
  5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You should know if it's 4 or 8 before you buy it. If it's 8 you can buy a WT800 for about $900 and have a smoking rig. If it's 4 you'll have to look at other alternatives. Also, if it's 8 I'd stay away from a WT400 because you'll only be pushing about 220 watts. If you're not into spending $900 for an amp right now you can find a SWR SM-400S for about $450 and be pushing 500 watts into 4 or 8 ohms and it would sound great with that cab. Another alternative would be a GK 1001RB-II for $650 shipped brand new!! 700 watts and only weighs 18 lbs. Also a great sounding head.

6. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I have thought about the WT800. I would love having that. I would be willing to spend that much, but I'd have to save up for it. Makes me wish I didn't spend so much on school that I just quit :p Maybe I will sell my drum set... anyway thanks for your input. I will probably get the cab and research into head options. I might ask for a lower price on the WT400 and sell it and upgrade later. Or I might get a WT800.. man I really want a WT800 now. :crying:

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    If it's a 4 ohm cab you won't be able to use the WT800. Keep that in mind before you purchase. If it's a 4 cab the WT400 would be ok because you would get the full 400 watts out of it. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the WT400 if it's in real good shape.

If it's a 8 ohm cab you're primed and ready to go to hook up a WT800.

8. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Hmm, the site says:

So I assume it can use 4 Ohms?

And when you say WT800 for about $900 is that used? Any good online place to buy Eden that you know of?

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The cab is either 4 or 8 ohms. NOT BOTH!! It depends on how it was ordered.

Here's a SWR SM400S with a case for $499. A MUCH better head than the WT400 IMHO.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3733017616&rd=1

10. aroc

aroc

Jun 21, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Ahhhhh. Okay I will ask him what the Ohms today and then figure out what head I want. Thank you for your help NeedMoreBass!

11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Good place for used gear besides eBay is www.bassgear.com. There is SWR SM400 on there now for $400. 400 watts into into 4 or 8 ohms!!

12. I'd say for that cabinet, if you choose to go with it, you should use a preamp/power amp setup. If you like the Eden tone, go with a Navigator Preamp and then get a 1,000 watt power amp. Component systems like this seem more complicated than just getting a head, but they offer much more flexibility and power for about the same cost. My opinion.

13. Simone Bastardi

Simone Bastardi

Dec 23, 2005
    Holy jamoly! That 8x10 is 225lb.