1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! It's not shiny!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FromTheBassMent, May 18, 2011.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I'm trying to polish out a minor scratch. I've used my descending grit wet sanding (from 1500 to 5000), and of course the clear coat was still cloudy. So I used some Meguiar's Scratch-X, followed by some Meguiars Swirl Remover (light cut). It's still vaguely cloudy. I'm doing this all by hand BTW, no power equipment.

So, what's the NEXT thing to apply to get the mirror-like shine up in the areas I've been working on? Or do I just have to take it to a professional?

Thanks!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Because I do not know how well you wetsand, I cannot tell you other than to try some #7 rubbing compound and then go back to the swirl remover, use some pressure with the polishing compoundand swirl remover, and do random circles as fast as possible trying to buildf some warmth from the friction.

3. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    it sounds like you have sanded thru a layer of something; but its aguess without pics;

4. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I definitely did not sand through a layer... I've been VERY light in my touch (maybe too light) because I'm paranoid. This is an EBMM Sterling, so it's got a big ol' THICK layer of clear coat on it. It's actually really close to being right... I'm just trying to get that mirror gloss up on it.

5. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Would this be easier if I used a motorized buffing tool? I have an auto buffer, but it just seems like such a HUGE tool for the job (like bringing a backhoe to plant daffodils.....).

6. Get you one of these and a drill matched up with compound.

STEWMAC.COM : Foam Polishing Pad

You don't have to order from stewmac. I get my pads at O'rielly's auto parts. Same aisle as the compounds and paints.

7. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Yeah, that looks like the ticket. I'll hit the auto parts store tomorrow. Thanks, man.

Love your sig, btw! Jungle Brothers!!

8. <Troll>That was A Tribe Called Quest. </troll> :bag:

9. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Ooooh... you are so right. So glad I didn't credit it to De La Soul!!!

:meh:

10. Dang, now you guys got me looking for old cd's. :D

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    And I was just thinking about popping in some EW&F while I cut these templates...LOL

12. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Be very careful spinning that foam pad. It can easily get away from you and mar your finish.

13. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Foam buffing pad on the ol' electric drill did the trick. Looks good as new. Thanks for the tip!