Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Ive been asked to solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Ok I have been playing for about a year now and the band i am in is getting pretty good and we are getting some shows and writing some tunes. Today 2 of the guitarists approached me they want me to solo in the one song. Now I dont know what to do.. I have never looked at the soloing aspect it has always been about the groove. But I am anxious at the chanxce to have a solo but i dont know how to approach it... Any helpo would be greatly appreciated

2. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    The dreaded first solo! I would suggest... first, ask at least one of the guitarists to play rhythm behind you- I always wondered why when a guitarist solos the bass player keeps laying it down, but when the bass player solos- everyone stops! Drum and bass solos can be sick- but it's a lot of pressure for someone who hasn't had to solo before! Next- just start your solo with the groove you're already playing- then start stretching out a bit. You don't have to approach your first solo like a soloist- show everybody how heavy a pocket player you are by staying in the groove. Add a few licks here and there, maybe a pop or two, and feel the drums-
    Over time you can experiment with full fledged solos, heavy lines and passes, and notey riffs... but for now keep it tight, in the pocket, and heavy!
    Just my thoughts anyhow!
    Slade

3. Thanks. It is going to be a little rough. This song has me playing roots cause none of the guitarists really know what the chords are.... I am going to try and figure them out so I have something to work off of. Actually there wil be 3 guitarists playing rythym whill I am soloing so at least i have that going for me. It isnt really a song I felt a solo in tillthey changed it around today. i can feel it in thee and i hear it in my head but i cant get it out on the bass. I will have to work on it.