1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help I've killed 3 Hartke LH1000's and a LH500. What am I doing wrong!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spoono Ghiefardi, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    So I keep killing amp heads. I've currently had 3 hartke lh1000's and they all just died on me one day. I never ran them above 3 on the volume and I paired them with the hartke ak410, using the locking speaker cables. I then got a LH500 that died right before my last LH1000 went up in smoke. I have no IDEA WHAT IM DOING WRONG. And the amps don't die right away. They'll be good for a few months to a year and then just die. The last one literally went up in smoke. So could it be a short in the bass cab? I just can't figure it out. I just ordered a peavey headliner 1000 and I don't want to kill it too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if I didn't explain this the best.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'd suspect the cab of having a problem right away. Do you have access to a multimeter?

3. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL
    failures cited at months/a year: am assuming these must have been used heads having no warranty at time of acquisition? or.... what did the service shop say was failure mode?

also, experienced amp people on this board frequently advise that not all locking speaker connections are created equal - if not Speakon, consider bad connectors to be a potential culprit

bassinflorida and BasturdBlaster like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are you feeding them crappy electricity?

Ross W. Lovell and RickenCliff like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Could be an intermittent short in the speaker or speaker cable, or the AC voltage where you plug in the amp may be too high.

6. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Firstly, thanks all for your replies. Yes all used amps. Theres no authorized hartke repair near me and itll generally cost more to get it worked on than just buy a new one, but at this point id like to own an amp for more than a year.
    Its never something that happens right away. Its usually after 6+ months of rehearsals and gigs, then it starts to drop in volume everyonce in a while, then die die. Other than the speaker wires being connected correctly, would there be anything else in the speaker cab that I should be looking for?

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Definitely pop open that cab....unless you dont know what to look for. Did you buy it used as well? If some genius "upgraded" the speakers, like 4-4 ohm speakers parallel or even 4-8 ohm in parallel, well that could be a problem. Can the LH amps operate at 2 ohm?

It might not be a total waste of money to go ahead and pay the bench fee just to have a tech find the cause of the failure, even if you have no intention of having the repair done. Take the cab with you.

plav1959, FunkHead, BMGecko and 4 others like this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The LH1000 is safe to 2 ohms unless it's bridged. The LH500 is safe to 4 ohms

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Ahhh....
    So then, OP, have you been running the amps bridged?

If the cab is 2 ohm, and you have been running bridged, that could play a role in killing the 1000's, and could explain why the 500 literally smoked. Id bet the 500 wants 8 ohms bridged, yeah?

agedhorse likes this.
  10. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You don’t own any pets, do you?

Just wondering.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  11. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well, as someone who troubleshoots for a living, I’ll say that on a macro level, if you’ve had multiple instances of the same failure mode, you haven’t fixed the root cause.

Specifically, you keep replacing the amps, but the amps aren’t the problem.

Check your cab and your speaker cable...and make DARN sure that it’s a real speaker cable and not an instrument cable plugged between amp and cab.

Check the outlets you plug into.

Check the dust filter on your amps.

If you don’t determine and correct the cause of the failures, you’ll kill the Peavey too.

12. Where are you located?
    Some place with dicey A.C. service?

Bikeguy57 likes this.
  13. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    How many cables going out from the amp to the cab? I kept smoking svt4's like crazy. I got a new cab and the plugs were different on the back and I thought I was splitting the cab when I was actually not. Like plugging the head back into itself basically. It took three trips to a repair shop, thankfully they fixed it under warranty, and the last time he said to bring in the cab. He ran a meter on it and showed me how to wire it correctly. He even said the way it was shown on the back of the cab was confusing.

14. Dana R Gregory

Dana R Gregory Supporting Member

May 12, 2014
    Deland, Florida
    There is always a risk when using used gear. You just don't know where it's been and how much abuse it has been subjected to. Perhaps you should purchase a good new amp with a full warranty if possible as you don't seem to have very good luck with used amps. There is a lot of good amps at affordable prices on the market now so you should be able to find something you can afford. Good luck. :thumbsup:

JakobT likes this.
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    What are you doing wrong you ask?
    You are buying Hartke gear...over and over.
    ROck on.

16. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I doubt its Hartke's fault. I've been playing their stuff for 30 years with no problems. Line voltage, or speaker resistance.

17. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Your cab could have a misaligned voice coil that heats up and scrapes the frame. Especially during peaks.
    The speaker frames can get distorted by dropping or excessive roughness in handling. My views of Eminence frames sez they aren't the weak ones.

Spoono Ghiefardi likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    OP, if you're burning through amps at this rate, wouldn't it e cheaper to buy new and use the warranty rather than buying used, killing the amp, buying another amp, killing the amp, rinse and repeat? of the two that didn't go up in smoke, did you try going through the fx loop rather than the main input jacks?

i'd guess you either have an issue with the cab or the electricity where you play. have you done any testing of either?

i have an LH500, had it for two years. no problems with it ever.

JakobT and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I don't think Hartke has been around as long as it has because their amps are disposable.

As was said, you have a line voltage, or speaker impedance issue...or really bad luck.

Spoono Ghiefardi and Aqualung60 like this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Same cab, same speaker cables? Either your cab or your cables are killing the amps. I'm surprised you've gone as far as ordering the 4th head without at least checking out the common factors (cab and cables)...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018