1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

*HELP - Japan Squier Precision Bass (80s/90s mij)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaron bernards, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Hey guys (and gals),

I recently bought a Squier mij P-bass on Reverb. I need help identifying it as I am not going to remove the pick-guard and neck until it needs new strings!

The seller said it was a '93 but the headstock makes me believe it's from the 80s. There is no serial number on the neck plate, and I have no idea what the pickups are.

Unfortunately the guy did a poopie job re-fretting it so there are burn/hack marks along the fretboard. There are also suntan marks around the pick-guard, which makes it evident it isn't the original.

Overall, the seller deceived me but I'm looking at the bass as a rescue dog that found a good home and needs some love. Also it's on the lighter side and most importantly, sounds great.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The neck is definitely from the 1983-84 SQ Squier series but the body is something else judging by the plywood construction.

aaron bernards likes this.
  3. Awesome. Probably won't be able to figure out the body until I take it apart. Maybe someone else will view the thread and be able to identify the body grain! cheers

4. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    What Dluxe said. I agree that the neck is an early neck.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021