Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, keep it funkay..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by merlin, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Ok, to cut a long story short, there is a point in my band where the guitarist and singer swap positions and use different guitars etc. This takes time and any pro-longed silence at a gig is bad. Its not that long, but long when no-one is talking to the crowd etc.

What the drummer and i have decided is to have a little jam riff etc to fill maybe 2 minutes max. He said "hey lets make it funky". Ya see we're a death metal band, and metal heads love to laugh at ourselves, and we all agreed. Thing is, i don't know how to play funk or funky stuff. Any suggestions? It can be a cover etc.

Cheers

Merls

And don't say "play that funky music whiteboy!" *shudders*

2. Maybe "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang, it has a really prominent bassline, I don't know if that's the type of song you wanted, but I tried :D

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oOooO merlso, do "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry !!! that'll get people giggling and riled, guarantee :D or you could pull out the circus jingle, i play that as a bass solo in one of our songs, and people go nuts over it ! ;)

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Play "Boogie Ooggie Ooggie" (did I spell that right??!?) by A Taste of Honey. It's the perfect interlude bassline.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Have the drummer play a pattern at about 95-100 bpm with the snare hitting on the 2 and the 4. Now all you need to do is lay down a bass line that compliments it, it can be busy and funky ala Rocco Prestia or it can be sparse and funky.

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Of course you have to figure out how to segue into the next song.

7. Cheers, thanx for that. Circus music? Hmmm i do like the sound of that! heehee Where would i get such a notation from?

:D

Merls

8. Four Words: Been there... Done that. :p

I dunno, the wah never did it for me unfortunately.

Merls

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    no probs merls, check this out ... THE. CIRCUS. JINGLE !!!! :D wooooo !!!
    the last bit is wrong, but the bit everyone will recognize is right :) FYI, i play it all on the g-string, but it sounds cool either way.

10. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How about the bassline from "Rappers Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Two that do for me -

"Cold Sweat" - The Godfather

"Walk the Dinosaur" - Was Not Was

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Funky and simple ostinato bass lines can be found in "Disco Inferno" by the Trammps and "Groove is in the Heart" by Dee-Light (Bootsy on bass). Some others might be "Burn Rubber" by the Gap Band and "Brick House" by the Commodores, or "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays.

I'm a pretty big fan of "Cissy Strut" by the Meters, but ya gots ta have a good drumma ta do it.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    For those that would like standard notation:

[​IMG]

14. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    wow Phil, you really *do* think bigger than big ! :D thanks for that, man

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Thanks *ToNeS*!

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    that is a good bass line Ric..its funky and yet to me sounds like it could be a rock line to some extent. I havent heard that one in a long time now, Ill have to break it out again. :)

boom boom akalaka boom boom
    boom boom akalaka boom boom

i hope he's sayin akalaka there or ill be a bit embarassed.

17. Hey thanx everyone! i should bookmark this thread so when i need to change the riff i have a multitude backed up. Thanx Tones and Phil for hunting that down!

:D

Merls

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LMAO!!! : You could just slap the A string and pop the octaves on the ascending line during the verses as I do. The crowd won't care if you shout, "BOOM, alfalfalaffa, BOOM......"

I like anything that jumps on the one (beat) a la James Brown.