Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Kustom Groovebass 1200 not loud at all!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just got the head from big brown, put it in the rack and connected it to my Avatar 210 and 112 as such:

Head - Speakon - 210 - 1/4 10 guage - 112

I then tried just connecting one cab a time via speakon

This thing is not loud at all. My Hartke blows it away. I had the volume to 8 and not much at all. I called Kustom and was told at 5pm that the tech had left for the day and no one could help me till tomorrow. :help:

2. This was my complaint when I tried one in a shop.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

First off, run the EQ flat and mid way up. Crank the gain to just where it clips on low notes and back it off a hair. Then bring your master up. This will help a lot. The head REALLY comes alive under a 4 ohm load...

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have 2 4 ohm cabs, so I am running at 2ohms. It is still not as loud as my Hartke! :confused:

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    there's gotta be something wrong with it...

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    How do you have your switches set? (especially the active/passive one). I play an active bass, but use the passive setting. Then I set pre amp gain like Quad just explained. I start clipping around 12:00 or so...btw, my parametric eq is: bass around 9:00, mids around 1:00, and treble around 11:00. I run a 2 ohm load and my Master volume never gets past 1:00 'cause it's too loud

7. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, I think I may have panicked. :eek: I EQ'd like Quad said and it came to life. Much louder. I am going to have to tweak it a bit more before I make any final judgements.

8. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, just called Kustom Cust Service. The guy said that running my 2 4ohm caba in series might result in an 8ohm load. :eyebrow: :rollno:
    So I am waiting for a tech to call me back

9. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Off the subject a bit but Ghost how do you like the 1x12 with 2x10? I have 2 2x10 kappa pro's but Im thinking about getting the 1x12 w/2x10 and ditching one of the 2x10 unless I need it for a larger show. I will also be getting the 1x12 in 4ohm and using it solo for a side funk project and also to save a little carring weight then the 2x10.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Only if you were using a custom "in series" (verses standard parallel) cable. If you are using two cables or daisy chaining the cabsm you are in parallel mode which means 2 ohms (with 2 - 4 ohms cabs). I have a series cable that I ordered special from Pro Cables and Sound that I use when running two - 4 ohm cabs to my Peavey Classic 400 head (only does 4 and 8 ohms). I doubt you have a series cable unless you ordered one from a custom cable place, plus it's a "Y" cable with one connector one the head and one for each cab.

If you are still having volume issues, I suspect something is wrong as my GB1200 would crush with a 4 ohm load (runing a 1x12 and 2x10). Unless your cabs are REALLY inefficient... Dunno.... :confused:

11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just got off the phone with the tech. Looks like the sweet spot for power is with the master around 11 o'clock and up. There is a MASSIVE increase of volume there. So maybe it is a case of my expectations being that this amp should crush at 7 o'clock (1). :meh:

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Knob positions mean little by themselves anyway. The game is about gettting the best out of the gain structure, matching well to input source, etc. I suspect a number of "amp" manufacturers - especially ones that also build guitar rigs - have skewed their circuits so that their gear makes full output with low knob settings. A sucker trap. Because the power section is only going to make so much power anyway. The important thing is that knobs allow a lot of adjustment sensitivity, especially for input gain and in the case of overdriving at the preamp if the design is meant to do that.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Correct...

as I've said, I usually keep mine around 12:00 - 1:00 and have never had any problems with volume :D