Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help landing a job in a music store

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 6, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm turning 18 in a month and a half, and I've been thinking of trying to get a job at a music store since I do have an excellent product knowledge and great general knowledge of how it works. I am familiar with alot of the guys at local music stores and they're friendly with me. Does anyone have any tips that could help me land a job at a music store? Whether it be at Guitar Center, or an independant store. Any advice would be appreciated.

~Patrick

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If I knew the answer, I would have done it myself years ago..........

I work for a musical instrument wholesaler. I got my job by sending them an email out of the blue that read something like "Hi, I'm new to the area and I'm looking for work. I realise this is a long shot but have you got any positions vacant?".

I sent that email to 2 different places and I just happened to luck out with one of them.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, I can give the benefit of my experience, such as it is.

I got my job (and yes I know I'm a lucky bastard) by just being a constant presence at Bass Central. I studied with Dave LaRue for 4 years, so I was around the store constantly. Anytime they needed extra help, moving stuff around, rearranging, etc, I made myself available. Eventually I managed to work myself into teaching at the store (thanks to my long-time connection of studying with Dave - thanks Dave! :D) and filling in on the days when they were short-handed. Eventually that worked into being in the store every Wednesday & Thursday afternoons (teaching), and every Saturday, so that one of the two full time guys that were there at the time could have a 2-day weekend. That became coming in a few hours a few days a week, then a few days during the week, then the boss just said "Come in whenever you want, you work here full-time now.".

Bottom line: Be present, be available, be willing to do the most menial of tasks (most of what I did at first was rearranging stock in the warehouse - now, I'm the assistant manager! :eek: ), always have a good attitude, and make sure you know as much as humanly possible about the stock.

Good luck!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just got a job at Guitar Center almost 2 months ago so I might be able to provide you with good advice.

First of all be present. Like Gard said making yourself known is a good thing. The way I became noticed was by going with friends to help them purchase gear. By showing up everytime a friend needed advice with gear I made sure they recognized my face. Also ask about available positions each time.

Second, you have to show them you can help. I was there with my friends because they knew I could help them find gear that would suit them based on their needs and what they told me. I showed them that I knew how gear worked and how to find the right product for the customer. I also did a lot of the negotiations with the sales people regarding price and service. I showed that I could comunicate effectively and that I had a sense of what was fair and when to stop.

Lastly, make connections. Chat with the sales people and management when you pass by. Just because they dont have any positions open at the moment doesnt mean you shouldnt make sure they have you in mind when they do. Besides, if you cant shoot the S*** with them now, what makes you think youd wanna work around them in the future? By talkin to the guys there I managed to get my application at the top of the list a few times. Even after I was turned down since I could only work till I left to college, the consitant persuasion of an assistant manager who I had befriended got me the job.

Peace
    Nick

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm up at Guitar Center sometimes 2-3 times a week, and 1 once a week up at Martin Music. So I guess I got the make myself known part down. At Martin, the guys know me well. At Guitar Center, a few guys see me in there alot. Anything else that will help me? Would it do any good to just bluntly ask for a job?

Man, Gard. You have to have the best job ever. Bass Central would be my ideal job. Man, if I could work at a Bass only store, I'd crap my pants.

~Patrick

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I musta filled out 5 applications to that one Guitar Center over the years.

After I was actualy elidgible (turned 18) I filled them out 3 more times. Once when I came in with my friends. Once with my dad, and once more when they called because they said they were looking for but couldnt find mine.*

*Raul (assistant manager) had my number in his wallet just in case he needed to contact me for such an emergency.

Peace
    Nick

PS: Hey Gard, can you guys hook me up with a job when I get to Orlando?

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    It really helps if your family owns the place. :D
    Seriously, though, like Gard and Nick said, make sure you're always on thier mind about things like that, and make DAMN sure you know every little thing possible about the merchandise. I've been offered jobs at two music stores teaching and doing sales. At one of them, I proved two salesmen wrong about a Gibson guitar, and one of them claims to have worked for Gibson for years. Neither of them work at that store anymore.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I argued with a sales person that my friends guitar should be set up for him since he got it 6 months late and the action was too high.

He said it was et up at Gibson and was fine. I said because of temperature and huimidity differences from where it was set up and where we live, Miami (really hot humid place), he deserved to have it set up for free.

The dude (who was a Metallica roadie for a couple years) said temperature and humidity would not mess with a guitars neck or setup. Basically the other dudes who worked there heard this and took note.

That dude is gone and now Im workin there. ;)

Peace
    Nick