Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP....Lookin' to spend a grand....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAGE87, Sep 22, 2002.

1. RAGE87

RAGE87

Nov 15, 2001
    Hey there folks. I have about 1000 bux saved up and i'm lookin to buy myself a new bass. i currently have a POS Dean that cost me like 200. I can play bass pretty good, but i dont really know anything about the electronics or whatever. I play all types of music. but i play in a Jazz quintet and a Rock-ish band and i lookin for one thats good for both. my friend said i should get a Fender American Jazz bass. so i have two questions. 1)Are Fender American Jazz Basses good? and 2)What are some other basses i might look at that are of good quality? (i know some of the gurus might point and laugh at my inexperienced nature) still, any help rendered would be appreciated. thanx.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, Fender American Jazz basses sound good. Playability varies from bass to bass. If you're going to go Fender Jazz I recommend trying to find a second hand or demo model American Deluxe jazz. Great active preamp on those babies and they seem to be made with a bit more attention to detail. I noticed that Musician's Friend has a couple of these right now as overstock deals for around 800 or so. That's not a bad deal.

If I were you I'd try and maximize my value by buying a good used bass.

Check out the used deals at www.basscentral.com and www.bassnw.com.

Bass central has a nice looking G&L L2500 advertised on their webpage now for 899 and they also have the 4 string version used for 799. Those are good basses that offer a really good variety of tones. You could talk to Gard about those.

Bass NW has a nice lookin' used Kinal with swamp ash body for 999.00.

Both of the above places have review periods in which you can check it out and return it minus the shipping cost if you don't like the bass.

brad cook

3. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    DPCustom

You might want to check this out... These look killer and are VERY reasonable price-wise... I just ordered mine today.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...i wish i were in your predicament

5. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Fender Roscoe Beck 5. E-mail me at jefhaley@hotmail if interested.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just checked that page out...very intriquing. That looks like a very good deal. I'd do it.

brad cook

7. mooseman

mooseman

Jul 24, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Check out Peavey Cirrus basses...you could find one used for under 1000. I was floored by the ones I recently played. Construction wasnt perfect, but the tone, IMO, was more pleasing than some big name basses

-Hunter

8. A Reverend would fit your budget, and you'd have money left over! They're excellent basses! I love mine!:)

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never played a reverend but if that's something you're interested in there's a Rumblefish for sale over on bassgear.com for 400 bucks.

brad cook

10. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    theres a beautiful ALEMBIC on access-bass.com
    this thing is imaculate and is only $1,000. koa body
    and an ebony fretboard. it is amazing

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You could also get into a new benavente Vortex for around $1300

www.benaventeguitars.com

good luck with your search. there are a number of good basses out there.