Help looking for a coffee house type cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianrb33, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Hey TB people, I originally posted in the wrong section, so I will start over again.

Getting back into player after a hiatus, and need to pair a cab to a head I ordered. I will be getting, again, an Eden WT300 (pre Time Traveler). I need versatility in style of music, I player finger-style, like my 5 string to rattle your innards, can cover coffee house to bar, and size matters. Love 410's, but thats to big for most coffee house gigs. So, 210, 112, 115, 212 if small enough. Limited budget, and most likely buying online so I cannot plug into my head.

So, some sage advice from all you beautiful people as to your experiences. What Is loud, but sensitive to rumble at low volumes? Looking at 100+ db rating for efficiency.

Anyone got some inexpensive recommends for an old fart like me?

Thanks guys and gals.

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    eden makes some very nice 210's go with that wt300
    I like Genz Benz. Try Carvin too
    what's your budget?
    Now 10 people are going to tell you to use the search f(x) on google or TB.

3. Yeah, been doing that. Its hard to match my situation to someone else's playing style they posted. And frankly, there are so so so so so so many post I would retire by the time I finished reading. I've looked at specs, prices, and several threads which all seem to stray off course from OP. I just thought this might expedite things a little too.

I am leaning to Eden right now. In the past I've used Avatar 210 w/Kappa speakers paired with either a SWR Big Ben, or homemade 1x15. I just want one cab that can fill most of that.

I need to keep it under $400. Lower the better for my wallet. Budget is a bit tight for the next two years till I finish school.

4. What is your budget?

5. That would be the $400 or under I wrote?..........

6. Punch the mix in the balls. I like it!

7. I suggest you look up some TL806 plans and tune them around a 12PR300 or 3012HO.

If you have a bit more cash do the same for a TL606 and a 15PR400 or 3015.

8. Tune them. Ok. I know nothing about design. My homemade job sucked. Plywood box screwed together. To midrangey and not a lot of low end. More than the Kappas though.

Looks like a cool project, but I am being realistic in that I don't have the time to figure that out right now. Someday maybe.

Just looking for ready made, grab and go, loud and proud, good bass cab. Used is fine. Aggies appear to be scooped, Ampegs are a little too. Loved the PR-410HLF though, but that is way to much.

Edens D112 Neo seems like a logical cab, but I have never heard it. I saw an Eden D153T tri-cab. Had a 15, a 10, and a horn. that might sound nice, but looked a bit big.

And thank you for everyones input. It is really appreciated.

9. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I love my Acme Low B-2's. I put the pair of 2x10's together for larger gigs and use just one cab for the coffee house stuff. They have ah-mazing low end. Seriously. Not the smallest 2x10, nor the biggest. They're advertised as having a "hi-fi" sound, but with my Ashdown ABM, they transparently produce the warm vintagey-ness of the amp. Very versatile. That's my two cent plug, at least.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'll pimp Ampeg's Portaflex cabs. Not too big but big enough to give you some low end. A couple of them are sealed, but don't let that fool you...they go very low, way lower than you'd expect for a sealed cab, and lower than some ported cabs as well. You'd probably dig a PF115he. Not quite 100 db sensitivity quote...only 99.5 :p But it'll take quite a pounding. I've lit one up real good before and it'll get you way fired from any coffee shop before it'll give out on you ;)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino AE210 or, if you can't find one, a CN112.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    if it were me, I'd search for a used Amped Micro VR. I will say that little VR thing is cool and works well for it's size and weight.

Funny story...
    The last time I ever did a coffee house gig, I was wheeling in my B-15R, and the barista/manager complained I was too loud already. :eyebrow:

13. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I think there are plenty of 112's that would be fine for this type of thing. I have a gh Neo 112 which I would certainly be happy to use in an intimate, low volume setting.

My friends TCE RS 112 would be (IMO) perhaps even better.

I'd get a nice 112, and if you find yourself doing larger gigs perhaps get another cab, a 212. Then you have a modular system that will cover a lot of territory.

I see you have the amp head already, otherwise I might have suggested a high quality full range powered speaker with an amp modeler before it.

Mike

14. Thanks for all the input good people. I'm kinda leaning towards the Eden 210xlt, but still looking and open to other options. It would be nice to check out the PortaFlex. I have fond memories of my friends Ampeg PR410HLF. That cab is a tone monster. Tab to big right now. My quest continues.......
    Its a good thing I'm patient.:rollno:

15. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Agreed.

I use an Eden 210XLT for coffee house gigs/ Its the goldilocks cab for that application: not too loud, but with a hint of punch to keep the non coffee drinkers awake.

16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Eden EX112.
    Its a Wizzer style speaker cab and perfect for coffeehouses.
    You can find them new and cheap on Ebay cause they never really caught on, which means you could buy a pair of them so if you need to expand outside of the coffeehouse you then have a microstack which will carry medium rooms with no FOH support.
    Check the impedance of your amp before purchasing cab(s).

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    +1

My choice would start at the CN112, then AE112, then AE210.

18. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    If you're looking for something lightweight, a GK Neo 112 may be a good option.

I've had mine about a week and its a great little cab. I too was looking at some of the same options and mostly made my decision based on price and what I thought would pair best with my amp.

Your situation seems to be different, but it is a good cab deserving a look.

19. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Another bump here for an AE112. Had two before I went IEM and used one of them for coffee house gigs once a week for a couple years. They just flat get it. Add #2 to the mix and you've got a slamming mini rig of doom.

20. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Used Acme B2.