Help- Looking for a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deanthemachine, May 3, 2005.

1. deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    I have been playing bass for about 5 years now and am still using the same amp since I started. (yorkville 100-watt) It wasnt until recently that I joined a really good bunch of guys and are about to start doing shows. I need a new amp, thats just basically bigger than the one I have now.

So I was just wondering what would some suggestions for a new amp for myself. Im a real noob when it comes to amps so any feedback would be appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of 300-watts but I dont really know what Im gonna need. Im willing to spend anywhere from $500-1200.
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Welcome to TalkBass.

The "search" feature will help you, as will getting in the shops and trying out different models..... but I think the most-commonly-recommended-around-here budget rig for players in your situation is the Avatar B212 / Ashdown MAG 300H deal that you find here, for right at $600 shipped: bass.htm

I'd throw in the casters, and I'd get the cab in an 8-ohm config to allow a second cab to be added later....

What kind of music? How big are the rooms? How many in your band? etc. etc..... :cool:
  3. deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    Oh my just noticed the search feature now, and the stickied forums :meh: ohh well.

Thanks for the quick reply. Its an older style rock band, were playing most of our own stuff with a few halen songs. Two guitarists, singer drummer, and then myself. (BTW play a fender jazz V-string) We are going to be playing shows at smaller venues for the time being, but we are already booked for an out-door show on canada day, so I have the feeling il need some power. Even if I dont need alot now, Im hoping this new amp will have enough power so that I wont need to buy another amp.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, I haven't had the opportunity to try one.... but if gobs of power is your thing, do a search on the Kustom GrooveBass head.... several TB'ers are raving about it, and I hear it's going for five bills...

One of those and a pair of Avatar cabs would still come in under the top end of your budget, and would handle ANY outdoor situation.....
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd recommend a Traynor YBA200 200 watter all tube (sounds as loud as about 800 watts SS) with either Avatar or a used Eden or SWR.
  6. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Not sure where you are located, but if you can, try out the new Carvin B1500. Sounds like it would fit your needs and has more power than you will probably ever need. Also comes in on the low side of your budget wich is always a good thing.
  7. There's a guy in the 4 sale forum with a Peavey Bam 210 combo. that sucker is 350 watts into 2-10's and sounds sweet. Slap a 4-ohm 12" or 15" from Avatar under it and you would have a killer rig pushing 500 watts for under 1,000 bones. The guy's name is TheLarch. If I had the dough, that's what I'd do.
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Up to $1200, you say?

Plenty of good options. You could do the good ol' MAG + Avatar for about $600-$700. 300Watts into any cab you deem your best fit of Avatar's.

Or... you could erase any doubts, and get yourself a Kustom Groovebass, the new kid on the block. 1200Watt head (maximum).... with an 8ohm cab, it'd be 500W and a 4ohm it'd be 800W. Either amount is enough to satisfy about 90% of your gigging situations. Price..... $500 my friend. Feed the need.

Cabs... well it depends what your into. I'd honestly just recommend an Avatar B212. Why? Because its the most cost-effective way of getting a well-rounded Standalone cab. It handles a fat load of power, if needed, and sounds like it costs twice as much as it does. $325 shipped direct from Avatar. You could plead the case for a 410 cab, but I wouldnt recommend it unless your getting another cab with bigger speakers to go underneath it. 10's just fall short on the low end sometimes, unless you have a high-end brand.

So... you're looking at approx $850 for a GrooveBass and B212... which would give you 500-800Watts, depending on the impedance you choose. This would ALSO leave you room to purchase another cab in the future if you wanted/needed it. Always convenient.
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

a BIG +1 on the above!
  10. deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    Thank you guys for the excellent replies, I'm gonna keep an eye out.
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You could buy my Eden WT-400 that I'm selling (do a search in the For Sale forum)...

12. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You've really got alot of options. The Avatars are a great way to fit a tight budget, but you've got additional options. If there are some good stores in your area, or even a Guitar Center, you should come across some good used gear. Ampeg gear would offer you some nice setups that would fit your price range. You can get a Gallien Krueger 800RB for a good price and usually find used ones dirt cheap. That head would give you the power you need, and you could get a 4-10" or 2-10" and 1-15" setup to go with it. It's a tried and true setup (I've used my 800RB into an Eden 4-10" since 91).
    You can also check with a bass only store like Bass Northwest ( or one of the other bass stores (Bass Central, Bass Emporium, Bass Alone, Bass Palace). Give them a call and they can help advise you on what they could do in that price range. They'll most likely have some nice used bass gear.
  13. deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    thanks for all the helpful information. Just wondering one more thing, wheres the best place to buy the groovebass online, since I live in a small town and theres not many shops around.
  14. American Musical Supply

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else, but AWESOME customer service,free shipping. and an EZ payment plan.