[help] Looking for my "next step" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dough, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Dough

Dec 7, 2005
    First off, Id like to say sry if this kind of post isn't allowed, I tried seraching and didn't find any thing like it. This is also my first thread and only 2nd or third post, so be nice! :d

But to the point, right now I have a Ibanez GSR200 and trying to make that next step to the bass I want to have and use for pretty much the rest of my days. Im trying to do this under 700$. I want to buy a Fender, I know they are reliable and they have to be good if so many people use them. But I can't decide on a J or a P bass. So I come here with this question:

Is buying a "combo" (both P and J pickups) bass a good idea? Ive been looking at this online:

And the one at my (not so) local music store has one kind of like it, but its about $100-$200 more, but I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be good and if anyone knows the similiar bass I am talking about, knowing that would be good too.

2. honestly, dont upgrade until you know what you want. Once you play whatever it might be, you'll know :). P/j is a fine combo, so is j/j, humbucker, plain P..... it's basically whatever floats your boat.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm not talking you out of Fender, you're right they have been around a long time and a lot of people play them, the Jazz seems to be most popular around here. There are a lot of good Mfgs. out there now. Leo Fender designed Music Man and G&L also. You could step up to a better Ibenez. Yamaha makes good basses. There are many others. I wouldn't limit myself to Fender because so many people play them but I certinly wouldn't rule them out either. If you want it to last you a long time, play a few different ones and see what feels best to you. I own 5, none of them Fender, but I wouldn't turn one down.
  4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yea don't buy a bass for the sake of buying a bass.. Buy what you need. If your Ibanez isn't making you feel all warm and cozy anymore then go out shopping.
    I had the cash to buy a nice Warwick. So I went and played a few and they were nice and sounded great.. then I played an SX Jazz and that was exactly what I was looking for. So I bought the jazz. You buy what you need not what you want (IN most circumstances)
    Go out shopping; play every bass you can get your hands on and make that decision yourself.. don't ask us to pick a bass for you when we don't know what you like, how you play or what you are playing through.
  5. Dough

Dec 7, 2005
    The thing is, I need a new bass, I dont think that my Ibanez gives me enough control over my tone. Yea, it has P and J pick ups, but just one knob to control both. Ive played a standard P and standard J in my music store, and I like them both for diffrent reasons. Both have a unique tone that I want.

What Im asking is if a P\J combo pickup bass works. Can I simpilly X off the P sound and only get a J feel? Or will I always have to have a medium?
  6. Just to get the answer out of the way, yes, you can solo either the p or j pickup, and as well the great part is when you blend in the right amount of the p sound into the j bass growl, and it just sounds rockin' :bassist:

Well, my only thing is that although fender does make a great bass, i would say that if you are going with a p/j, then you can get a better one then a fender out there for the same price, and it will have even better quality!

:bag: Don't hurt me, it's only the truth.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well the one your looking at is active w/ 4 knobs one looks stacked. 5 controls, I'm assuming 2 band eq. So you would have volume, Pan (mixes between pups or turns one or the other off.) Bass and treble. Stacked switch making passive or active. It could even be 3 band and one of the controls is middle.
    The other way would be 2 volume. Bass, treble. and passive active.
    You won't have a Jazz pup on the front. I don't know if that takes away from the Jazz sound you liked or not.
    If this is what your looking for, you need to decide, I don't have to play it and I don't want you e-mailing me if it isn't.:)
    Like was said, we are not going to pick out you bass for you but are happy to answer questions.
  8. Dough

Dec 7, 2005
    :) You guys have answered enough. These answers plus the reviews make this bass seem a very likley choice in my buying. Thanks

And about the not buying a Fender. I dont know why, but I want one, dunno why, but I do, and Ima stick to it.

Thanks again yall
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Good Luck!!! What color?