1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, M6 Carbine Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N4860, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    HI all, I just purchased a used M6 Carbine and am having some major problem upon trying it out. I have a ph610 plugged in via 1/4" speaker cable with the switch set on the 8/4 ohm cab setting. I'm using a passive jazz bass with the input switch set to passsive. I have the eq all set to 12 o clock and the di turned down all the way.

When I first turned it on, the amp was working fine for about 5 seconds. I turned the master all the way down for a second and then all of a sudden it seemed like the amp started to send a ton of power through the speakers as they were beginning to move and pop so I quickly turned the mute on. I turned the amp off and then tried turning it on a few minutes later and as soon as the mute was turned off the speakers started going wild again.

Obviously I'm new with this amp so I'm hoping it's just a switch or something simple that I've missed with the setup. I read the manual though and I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Wow, nice rig. Welcome to Talkbass!

Many questions. Please, can you skip the bold text option?

1. Can you replace all your connectors?
    2. Can you try a different instrument?
    3. Can you please use the 4 ohm setting (probably better for your cabinet)?
    4. What else did you do when you turned down the Master?
    5. Are you using pedals?

Who sold it to you? Are you in the US? Do you have the transferable warranty (you probably will need the original bill of sale)?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Hey sorry about the bold, not sure how I pressed that.

I know it's not the bass or instrument cable as they both work fine with my wt800.

No pedals were being used, simply bass into the amp.

The options for the cab selection switch on the back are 8/4 ohm or 2 ohm so it is set to 8/4 since I'm using a 4 ohm cab.

If I recall correctly, I turned down the master all the way and then was turned the gain down as well when the awful noise began.

What do you mean by changing all of the connectors?

I am in Canada and purchased on kijiji and I do not have the original receipt. I spoke to the person who I bought it off of and he thinks it just needs to be cleaned as he said he hasn't used it in about a year. Could that be the problem?

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Nothing in your settings seem odd to me and that's not the way a Carbine should be behaving. I agree with Jim about checking all the cables/connectors and the bass. If possible I'd try the cab with another head. Once you've ruled out bass, cables and cab...there's only one component left.

I hate to say it, but if everything worked fine before you put the new head in the equation, I'd suspect that there may be a malfunction in the head itself. FWIW, I'd also switch to a known good speaker cable with Neutrik Speakon connectors at both ends. That's a lot of amplifier output, especially at 4 Ohms for a 1/4 inch speaker cable IMO. Best of luck!

Jim Carr likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I seriously doubt that any type of "cleaning" is going to cure the problem you described, and I don't think that an amp stored (in a typically benign indoor environment) for year could "get dirty" and cause the problem you're experiencing.

I'd have a qualified tech look at it.

Jim Carr likes this.
  6. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I was playing the cab through my wt800 earlier today with no problems so I'm sure it's a problem with the carbine. The only speakon cables I have are the gk brand cables. Would those be OK with this amp/cab? I thought I read something about the gk cables have more pins or something than the usual ones and so I figured it'd just be safer to try the 1/4" speaker cable for the time being.

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I meant try new cables, which you have done. I'd be tempted to suggest preamp tube microphonics. Take the head off of the cabinet and set it on the floor or a nearby chair. You want to isolate the head from vibration. Then test it again. If it seems fine, change the 12ax7 tube in the preamp. Use a Mesa Boogie tube.

8. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    OK thanks, I will have to give that a shot

9. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    GK cables should work fine, they simply have contacts 2+ and 2- also wired and connected, but your head and cab should only have contacts 1+ and 1-, so there shouldn't be an issue.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    May I suggest that you contact one of our authorized service centers, They may be better equipped to help you troubleshoot this. It sounds like there may be a problem with your amp, from your troubleshooting description. I discourage you to attempt to repair it yourself, as repairing failed repair attempts is usually way more expensive than just fixing the original problem.

11. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    @N4860 — Contacting Mesa by phone is painless and they are very helpful. I agree whole-heartedly with @agedhorse — he is, after all, a Mesa design engineer, and is one the true sages of Talkbass! :thumbsup:

12. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    @N4860 — once you get this rig sorted out, it will be so awesome! :D

13. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Thanks, I was planning on bringing it in tomorrow to my amp guy and I just searched mesas repair locations and he is listed as the closest repair station which is great. Just hoping it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to fix this as I just bought it

14. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Very true, which is partly what makes this so frustrating as I just got this gear and had about 5 seconds of glory before encountering this issue. I don't want to wait haha

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I so sympathize. Be a little more patient. I have sent my M9 to Mesa a couple of times, and it is now totally perfect. The M6 has fewer issues than the M9 did. Also, the guys at Mesa are really reliable and reasonable. Give them a call. I don't have the number right here, but will check...

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    N4860 likes this.
  17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Call Mesa first. Have the serial number handy.

18. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yeah I know I should be patient. I will give them a call in the morning and be stopping in to my local mesa repair guy anyways so hopefully it won't be too long before it's fixed.

Al Kraft and Jim Carr like this.
  19. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You've chosen the smart path! A little simple/safe troubleshooting has narrowed this down to the right thing to have an expert take a deeper dive into. The Carbines are incredible machines and your patience will be well rewarded.

Jim Carr likes this.
  20. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Contact Mesa, they had a bad batch of power transformers (or output trans i don't remember which). They'll do a warranty upgrade to a proper transformer. A buddy of mine has to send his M9 in