1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help make my funk line awsome!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by servetakid, Apr 19, 2009.

1. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    heres my funk line, i great making my own riffs so i nead some help making this cooler, to make it impress my mates at school.
    so here it is:

G------9-----7-9--
    D--------7-9------ X2
    A--7-7------------
    E---------------

G------7-----5-7--
    D--------5-7------ X2
    A--5-5------------
    E-----------------

this for a while
    then:

G------9-----7-9-------9-------9-----
    D--------7-9-------------7-9---------
    A--7-7------------7-7--------7-------
    E-------------------------------------

G------7-----5-7-------7-------9-----
    D--------5-7-------------5-7---------
    A--5-5------------5-5--------5-------
    E-------------------------------------

i just whant some help makin this a reaaly impressive bass line

2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Hey man, I would love to help, but there's no rhythm on that tab so I have absolutely no idea what it sounds like. If you could post it in standard notation or maybe just an sound file we might be able to help.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Just looking at the tabs without knowing the rhythm (is it in 7/8 or 4/4?), it looks like a rather basic funk/disco bass line with the same pattern repeating over different keys.

A tip: Go over to the Funk 101 thread in the Recordings forum, check out the first 100 songs, and learn a bit about funk lines by listening to them. If you want to make the line awesome, it's nice if you could add a little extra flavor to it. And most importantly, keep the timing rock solid.

4. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    buMp :meh:

5. Play it through a envelope filter.

I don't know, I've got nothing. As was said, without any rhythmic notation it really makes no sense. This is why I don't like tab.

6. Play on the one and don't fake the funk. Funk is just as much about the notes that you don't play as the ones that you do.

lowsound

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Want it to be really impressive?

Write it so there's rhythm. Nobody can answer your question because you haven't given us enough information.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll play...despite the fact that NO RHYTHMIC Notation = lame-o.

I'm assuming your rhythm for the above figure is this-
    l1-&_2---3_&_4_&_l

Here's a variation-
    l1_&_2e-a3e&-4e&-l

G-----76--------789-
    D----------9--9------
    A7-7--------0-------
    E---------0---------

9. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    sorry bout the fact theres no rythm, the rythems 8 beats a bar (my musical knowledge aint great lol), i only called i funk cos i find it sounds funky!

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I bet you mean 4 beats (quarter notes =1/4) per bar, giving you the most common time signature 4/4. So you're playing 6 eight notes and one quarter note per bar. Which note is the quarter note?

..or is it perhaps in shuffle?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    C'mon, I told you what it was-
    l1&2_3&4&l

...or maybe it's-
    l1_2&3&4&l

;)

12. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    its fairly fast and you let the last note in each riff ring,

according to guitar pro its 8 beats to a bar

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    No offense meant, but do yourself a favor now and learn how rhythm is notated. Seriously. It's not difficult when you know whole notes half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes etc and their relative pauses.

So according to your rather vague description, I'm pretty positive you play six eighth notes in a row and ending the riff with a quarter note, and the riff is one bar long. One bar in 4/4 time fits four quarter notes, eight eighth notes or 16 sixteenth notes etc.

14. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    right its in eigth notes that what ive been trying to get at, give me a break im 15 andonly been playing for 7 months

15. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    When I said "no offense meant" I hope you didn't take it that way either, because what I said is important and you will have to learn these things anyway, so why not start now? It would have been easier for us all here to understand what you were describing if you would have given us the rhythm directly, wouldn't it? It's not at all difficult. And what I told you was no high-fly stuff, just simple, very basic information about rhythm notation that I hope you'll learn something from. As you advance, you will realize there's nothing more important in music than rhythm. No music make sense without rhythm. That's why so many here are critical to tabs, as they often lack rhythm notation. I'm not, as long as the rhythm is notated in some way.

By the way, whether that riff you wrote grooves or not has only little to do with what notes there are in it. It's HOW you play those notes that makes all the difference. Timing-wise, you can play the notes "legato", i.e. with no space between the notes, or "staccato" - very short notes, "hits", so there's kind of a pause between the notes, or something in between or a combination of staccato and legato. You can also choose to emphasize some notes in the riff by playing them stronger, or the opposite. This has to do with the dynamics, which is also a very important thing in music.

Of course, the best way for us to help you polish your bassline would be if you recorded it.

16. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008

im sorry if i sounded like i was getting annoyed, i just wanted help at maybe making a riff or adding that something extra for variety, you couldnt help withsome scales and that so i can learn improise, thats the only think i need to learn then i cold my self more

17. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    i shall make a file with standard notation so you guys can help!

18. It's a good start. If you're gonna be turning this into a full song then I personally think you'd have to get a full bass line sorted; intro, verses, chorus, outro, and have the rest of the band figure something out around your bass line. What you've got would be good for the intro verse and chorus, but try writing a bridge or solo, take that repeated phrase you've got already and make it more intricate, much less repetition and move around the fret board a bit more, make longer phrases that cover the whole bar and make a handful so you've got a full bass line that is impressive when you put the pieces together. If you make phrases that can stand alone you can play them in any order or repeat them if it comes to playing them at a gig and you can't quite remember the solo note for note.