Help!!! Maple board R Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Apr 21, 2002.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    The guys with the brown trucks are delivering a virtually new R Bass 4 string on Monday!! Mind-blowing amboyna bult top, birdseye board, jazz neck taper, JJ, HazLab pre, alder body, quartersawn 3 piece maple neck, the works!! I'm hoping the maple board won't be too bright for my needs. I've had Laklands and Foderas w/maple boards, and they had too much fretboard "ping", for lack of a better word. The HazLab is a slightly darker sounding pre than the Pope, and I'm putting in some Bart 9W4Js upon its arrival to hopefully counteract some of the maple's effect on the tone. Anyone else here tried to darken up the sound of their maple board bass by doing this? Nature has a way of making maple sound like maple, ebony like ebony, etc., no matter what you do to it!! But I's GOTSTA have that birdseye!!
    Gimme yer input!! I've got 24 hours to try to make it work! By the way, it has Hipshot aluminum hardware, so no, it's not brass!! Aluminum warms up the tone over brass...that would have been one of the first things I'd try.....