Help!!May cabs are lighting up!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jugghaid, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Anyone ever have this happen before? I was playing the new Lakland at rehearsal today and when I was slapping and popping, I noticed that my speaker cones would light up. :eek:

Now I never noticed them doing this before, and it was pretty damn bright, like someone had a lighter and was sparking it back there. I turned down the foster horns on the cab and it stopped doing it, but it freaked me out and I like using horns. Any idea what the hell would cause this? I'm running a Trace 600W head into an Eden 210XLT and 115T. 2 8 ohm cabs, they're daisy chained, the head is 600W@4 ohms, so I shouldn't be overloading it. Maybe I need to add a crossover in the cabs?

Never had this problem before. It did look really cool though. ;)
  2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    That would be the protection system your Eden cabs use for the tweeters. There are different methods of protecting tweeters from too much current, and having light bulbs in the circuit is one of them. This way, the excess current that would otherwise damage your tweeters gets turned into heat/light elsewhere.

If it happens a lot, considering spending some time with your setup and using less treble (which it appears you've already done), or try some tone shaping to make the treble different so that it doesn't ask so much of the tweeters.
  3. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Cool, when I rolld off the treble it did help. I was going for a real bright annoying slap sound and I guess it worked. I pissed off my cabs. :)
  4. Something to consider: If your amp is clipping, your tweeters will also get much more power than they're probably made for.

If this is the case, backing off the bass knob might help.

In other words: you're overdriving something, so back off some knobs :smug:
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Another possibility is that the tweeter was producing frequencies so high that rather than putting out sound, it created light. :bag:
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ;) when i read the title to this thread, i knew exactly what this may need some new bulbs for your tweeters if this keeps up as well, so i wanted to swing in and make a suggestion...eden sells these bulbs for an arm and a leg on their site, but if you take your old bulb out and go to your local auto parts store, take a look at the lights used in a car's dome'll see the same exact part number on them and the same you can get like 3 or 4 of them for dollar or so...hella lot cheaper than getting them from eden ;) i use an eden rig as well...awesome stuff...i love mine
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL! The first time that happened to me was in the GC up in Fountain Valley. I kept thinking "***? ***? Is this thing going to explode?" No big deal. The light takes power away from the tweeter to protect it. You did the right thing.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ditto. But my band mates and some people in the crowd paniced even more because the colour light produced by my Nemisis cab is exactly the same colour as a naked flame. I've since coated it with a thin layer of black paint, just enough so I can still see it lighting up, but the colour doesn't bring in the fire brigade.
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Gk RBH bottoms also have the bulb. I was giggin out in the park last summer (really airing it out) and when it got darker wifey told me "hey something is sparking in the speakers" when I viewed the tape I made the next day I saw the bottom cab lighting up! the switch was set to full range also. that was my first gig with the whole rig and a trial and error period for sure. Now the bottom is switched to bi-amp and I play with the treble knob at 10 o'clock and the tweeter amp at 9 o'clock which is more than enough.