Help (maybe rather info) needed in DIY cab... please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi everyone!

I've decided to make a cab myself - but I need some info to start. Can anyone help? Does anyone have some experience?

The amp I thought about is, like a 2x12 with a tweeter. I've decided to build it myself because, after having bought my Gallien-Krueger, I ran short of capital (I'm on really low budget now). As I live in Hungary, shipping from other countries is expensive and a bit insecure - so please don't reccomend any cheap cab-makers (like Avatar or something like that),plus the high import-tax was one of the reasons of my deciding so (I mean building it myself).
    I know the dimensions depend much on the speaker, but can you give me some advice, or some plans of cabs:)D yeah that would be welcome) as a starting point?

Any help is welcome. Thanks!
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Contact some speaker manufacturers. ElectroVoice and others can supply free plans for cabinets.

Spend a little money and buy a book on building speaker enclosures.
  3. First, I'm not trying to get your hopes down, but:

I'm an experienced speaker builder (see my home page). I spent years and years to gain the knowledge to do this.

My advice is this:

a. You either build from a plan, and exactly copy it, or
    b. you start reading Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and design your own, using a downloaded CAD program. However, you might need a few months to figure everything out.

A cab is not a wooden box with a speaker thrown in, it's a carefully designed, carefully tuned, high power acoustic/electric system.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for the replies:)

Brianrost: Thanks, there even is an Electrovoice shop here I know about, but I'm not so sure about that they would help...

Joris: a.) was the thing I thought about first, but I just couldn't get any plans. And I know that it's not so simple (I have read quite a few articles on it), that was why I decided to ask some people who are more experienced.

Anyway, thanks, guys.

I'm thinking about buying an old cab and putting in some newer but similar speakers... or trying to find someone to make a copy of a cab and put in the speakers.