Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me achieve a quicker, more solid low end attack with these bridge design options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Oct 26, 2005.

1. What I’m looking to do is achieve a quicker, more solid low end attack on my Fender Jazz without COMPLETELY altering my instruments tone. I believe the key is the bridge. I’m looking to get a hipshot bridge, Style B or Vintage Style Bent Plate… either Brass or Aluminum. I would like to Stay w/ hipshot as they all offer the quick release, which I now don’t have and really want.

I’m certain that Brass will give me a more solid, quicker attack, but I also think the Style B, ALL BRASS will be over kill and sound too dark and compressed.

What do you think I should do to achieve my goal? Style B Aluminum w/ Brass saddles?
    Vintage Bent plate in All brass, or aluminum w/ brass saddles? Ect… ect… ? I know there’s many different configurations to choose from. What do you think will do what I need best?

Any recommendations?

I don’t want to have to buy 3-4 different bridges from Hipshot and try em’ all. Anyone know how to achieve this without totally altering the tone of my instrument.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Have you tried turning down the bass control down just a tad?

Seriously.

Give it a shot.

:D

Joe.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I personally don't think that changing the bridge will make such a noticable change in the "attack". Perhaps in the sustain, but even then, it'll be very subtle. When comparing my Geddy Lee jazz with BA-II bridge against my other jazzes with standard Fender bridges, I can't say that there's a difference in "attack".

4. There deff is a HUGE diffrence in bridge design/materials used in tone.

You must be comparing apples to oranges in basses then to not hear a difference. Bridge design does have an impact on tone from an instrument.

5. Not too sure how that’s going to give my attack a quicker punch… ? It will perhaps clear things up, but won’t give the quicker punch that I’m looking for.

6. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hmm...to me it still sounds like an eq issue more than anything else.

Bridge construction does have an effect on tone but I still think that turning down the bass a tad and boosting the mids a tad in the right spot would make a huge difference.

But hey, I don't know exactly what your trying to do.

Just trying to help.

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    You are the one comparing apples to oranges. First you say that you want to increase your low end "attack" without altering your tone.

I comment that I don't notice any difference in "attack" on my different basses with different bridges. I didn't say anything about tone, because you explicitly said in your initial post that you do NOT want to alter your tone.

You say that different bridges do make a huge difference in tone. What are you really interested in, attack or tone? This feels alot like your last lengthy post searching for "growl" from a preamp that wouldn't alter your tone...... :bag:

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Everybody watch out!!!!

[​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

9. I appreciate you try to help! I really do.
    I think I just need someone with experience in bridge metals and tone to read this thread

10. well, when you put it that way then, I am trying to change my tone... but only slightly, and thats in the attack area. the rest, i want to leave alone. - comprenda ?

If you talk to any experienced luthers all will have their comments on bridges and metals and what they like and why

Mike Lull
    MTD
    Lakland
    ect.........

They all have diffrence preferance and why. All I was looking for here is commentary on your preferances and comments on your experiences with diffrent bridges and tones produced from them.

i.e. "I like brass because....." or "I like aluminum w/ Brass saddles in this designe because...."

thats all I was looking for...

11. Have you tried contacting Hipshot with your question? They responded promptly to questions I had.

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I may be veering off from the bridge topic, but doesn't the cab have the most effect on attack and responsiveness? As stated before, you may be looking in the wrong place. I would definately e-mail Hipshot though, they'd be most help.