Help me achieve this color finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by that one guy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. I just picked up a cream colored '87 G&L L2000 at a pawn shop for a song. The finish has seen better days and i think it's ugly anyway. So I'm going to restore this instrument.

I sanded the finish off of the back yesterday to see what kind of wood i was looking at. Turns out that it is two pieces of nice swamp ash, so I plan on a stain/tung oil finish.

Here is a pic of the color i'd like to achieve except I'd like a more flat or satin finish as oposed to high gloss.

here is a similar color with the "gloss level" that i prefer.

How would you guys recomend I go about getting this result? What products? What techniques?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley

maybe get some cherry red and brown and yellow or perhaps amber...........

probly gonna take some trial and error on scrapwood of swamp ash.
    I am by no means a pro or educated on the subject........just thought i'd throw out some ideas.
    There's a guy on the MIMF forum who has stained some really cool guitars using these stains (David Myka??) you might want to e-mail prepared to mix colors and let the body dry a nice while before slobbering with the tung oil.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with better ideas.
  3. thanks for the feedback!

i've been trolling around the stew mac site...

probably a stupid question, but i'm not familiar with MIMF forum....what/where is it?
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley

make sure you 'subscribe' or login. Then use the forum and the library and have at it.'s david myka's website
    he has some really cool 'in progress' pics on there where you can see how he stains his bodies.
  5. excellent sites! thanks for the links.