Help me add to my future bass collection....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I've only been playing for a year and a half. But in that year and a half I've become pretty damn good. I'm playing in a modern rock band and we are seriously getting good (badass lead singer). I'll post some links to mp3 files when we're done with our CD for those interested.

Anyway, I have a Yamaha RBX460 that has served me well for what I needed up to this point. I just ordered a Carvin LB-70 which I know I'm going to love. Already I'm thinking of expanding my collection.

What would you recommend for a 3rd bass? I'm getting better at slapping/popping but I don't get to use it much in the songs we play. Also, should I make the leap to a 5-string? I've always played 4-strings. I'll probably be looking to purchase another bass in 6 months, time to start researching now... :)

Interested in hearing your recommendations and thoughts.
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    A Fender of course. If I wanted to slap, I'd get a Jazz. For anything else, I'd get a Precision.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Domino, first of all, a belated welcome to Talkbass! Watch out, it's addictive! :D

Regarding making the jump to 5 string, what I would recommend is to play some 5 strings at local music stores and see if it reaches out and grabs ya.

If it doesn't, stick with 4's, but if it does, be prepared to not play your 4's as much.

I have three 4's, a 5, and a 6, and will be getting a fretless 5 in the next few months.

I rarely play my fretted 4's anymore, and suspect that after I get my fretless 5, that I will probably never play my fretless 4 anymore.

Lot's of good music can be(and has been) played on the 4 string, but there are so many things that you can do with an extended range instrument that are impossible with a 4 that 5's, 6's, 7's and even 8's and 9's are here to stay.

Good luck on your hunt!
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    fender precision
    rickenbacker 4001/4003
    gibson t-bird
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'd say save your money for a couple of years and go serious high-end. Then look into whatever makes you drool... Sadowsky, Lakland, Alembic, MTD, F... the list goes on. That's what I plan to do, but I'll doubt I'll have that amount of money for at least 7-8 years. :(
  6. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Thanks for all the posts everyone. And embellisher, thanks for the welcome! I discovered this board very recently and it's awesome. I can't wait for my Carvin to get here! We're recording a CD and I would like to use it to lay down the basslines.

I'm thinking I'll just visit local music shops for the next few months and try out some 5 strings. Down the road depending on how our band does (a lot of momentum going for us) I'm thinking I might look at a Warwick....I'd have to find a way to hide it from the girlfriend though because if she found I bought another bass I'd be grounded. lol.

Anyway, thanks for the posts everyone, I think I'm going to try out Ernie Ball, Rickenbaker, and Warwicks for sure. Anything else I should look at?

7. Listen man I know everyone always tries to rag on Ibanez but if you want a nice 3rd bass that's not to expensive and that's godd for slapping and popping like you said check out an Ibanez EDC700. It's on of those new basses they make that's made of luthite. It has a great sound and it's cheap enough that you can afford to at least replace the pickups.

So go try one out. If you don't like it then forget it . After all, it's just my opinion.
  8. Keep at it son! I have 40 (YES - FORTY!) bass guitars in my collection - just think, I started out with an Aria CSB-450 in 1982 and now its like...!!!!

Again, its a personal thing but look out for any decent Fenders, MusicMans etc. Alternatively, you could ask me to build you one:

http:\\ - still under construction but stay tuned!

Best Wishes!

Nick (aka Doctor Bass)
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit partial to my Spector NS-4. Versatile, yes:D! Hot? You bet:D! Comfortable? You bet:D!

Buy one and it just may become your main bass guitar!
  10. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like you're on the road to some decent basses. However, don't lose sight of your entire rig. Your overall bass system is only as good as it's weakest link. If your band is on its way like you say it is, and you don't have a system that supports your gigging/recording needs, you have problems.

Best of luck,

11. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Yeah I have a decent rig. It's an Ampeg Classic B2 350 Watt Head with 9 band EQ and a stacked 1x15 + 2x10 + horn. It does the trick for sure...

Right now I'm thinking I need a 5 string down the road, and I just wish there was a MusicMan dealer near by. I'd love to have a Carvin LB-70 4 string and a Musicman 5 string...with my old Yamaha to play around the house...
  12. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If your interested i may be selling my Fender RB-5.Its dead mint as is the tweed case.These are superb 5's.BP Mag rated it as the best passive 5 on the market.Good luck!
  13. Rickenbacker 4001V63 or a good 4003
    Roscoe Beck 5 (they rule, and can do a LOT)
    Precision bass
    A fretless bass

Hmmmm......looks a lot like my collection ;)
  14. I only got 2 basses

Home made 4str (Not fully complete)
    Vintage 5str 4 days old

Carlsboro 100 Twin Channel Power Amp (Lamp)
    Yorkville 115B Bass Cabinet

I also got guitar:

Kay (Very Rare) "ES-335 Look" est. values $12.000

A little add-on...the 5str I bought is a killer one....I liked better than the Zon,Warwick,Yamaha & Ibanez basses I tried...It´s my first 5str, i´ve been playing for over 10 years...and I totally love that bass. I´ll post my website on soon...when i´m finished with it...and there you can find pics and more info.
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    And...? What's your point?