1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me age/identity this Framus bass (please)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WalkAlongTR, Jun 13, 2018.

1. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018

It's a star bass model number 5/149

Trying to learn more about it. Just acquired it today. Thank you!

HaphAsSard, Bass V and nixdad like this.
  2. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    That is beautiful :thumbsup:
    Maybe start with date codes on the pots? If they're Preh brand here's the dating info FINDING YOUR HOFNER
    Email to Framus/Warwick could be worth a shot, I might be wrong but I think they have a museum and historian.

3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I have nothing helpful to say, just congrats on a beautiful new (old) bass!
    Enjoy it!!

4. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018
    Well that was easy! Took the on/off switch plate off because that's way easier that removing the pots and look what I found!

Super excited. This thing is in gorgeous condition (minus two cracks in finish only) I love it

5. Ratatosk

Ratatosk

Jan 19, 2013
    Congrats on that beautiful bass!! Now that it has been dated maybe this is obsolete but anyway:

Framus Vintage

This might be useful in the future.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    This is what I'm seeing for the pictures. ???
    upload_2018-6-14_11-58-37.
    - John

7. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018

Hmmm try this...

8. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Great find. I believe Framus started making electric instruments in the early 60's and went out of business in about 1975. Other than checking for manufacturing dates on the electronic parts, you may not get much more information. Unfortunately, Warwick does not have a lot of information available on Framus instruments, but it wouldn't hurt to check their web site just in case.

9. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018
    Ok, you guys have been very helpful so far. I have another question for you...

What strings should I have this thing set up with? Flat, round, nickel, chrome? I need to grab a set and bring to the technician because he doesn't stock a full selection of strings. This old Framus actually has a decent volume and tone without even plugging in. I'd like some strings that let the acoustics shine as well as give me some good tones plugged in. Keep in mind it is a short scale bass (I'm not sure if that matters)

Thanks!

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    What type of tone are you wanting? If big an fat sounding with less definition then go with flatwounds, if your looking for fat with an edge then round wounds are the way to go. Framus would have installed Pyramid Flatwounds on it during final assembly. Hofner, Framus and Klira all installed Pyramid flatwounds string on their basses during the 60's because the Pyramid factory was also located in the same small village that they were in (Bubenreuth).

FYI, Framus started making guitars/basses in the 1946 and they went out of business in 1977.

TD

11. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018
    I'm really not sure what sound I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just start with some flat wounds. Im new to the bass guitar world. Fat with and edge sounds intriguing. Can you tell from the pics I posted what type of strings it currently is strung with?

Thanks!

12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    No way to know for sure but the ball end wrap looks similar to Thomastik-Infeld. Are they flatwounds?

13. WalkAlongTR

WalkAlongTR

Jun 13, 2018
    Watched a few videos on YouTube flatwound vs. roundwounds and I definitely prefer the rounds. Just dropped it off for a professional set up and spit shine