help me! ahh!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Nov 28, 2001.

1. i play with a pick, and have been for about 4 or 5 years now, i wanna use my fingers, because i feel that bass players who use their fingers are looked down upon by the bass playing community. Is that true? what do you all think? i love the sound of finger picking and plectrum picking the same, but id like to further my bass playing horizons in the future, like maybe do some studio work, im only 15 so i have time to decide, but what do you all think i should do? i play in a fast paced punk band, its hard to play with fingers, i really need some help from you guys, i know you guys can help me. thank sooooo much!!!! its just lately ive been getting so frustrated by this....heres an idea of what im trying to go for
    for my finger picking style: karl alvarez - the descendents, and ALL.
    plectrum picking: matt freeman - rancid.
  2. i said bass players who use their fingers are looked down upon, i meant bass players who use picks are looked down upon, sorry
  3. Different tools to different jobs.

Pick when you want that sound, fingers when you want that sound. I don't look down on pickers.

But you should know how to do both. I can't hold a pick, I keep dropping them :D

4. slid3r

Nov 20, 2001
    Hello Willy Sanchez. The only real advice I can give you is this: Do what is comfortable and feels right to YOU. That's the best advice I ever got as a bass player.

Whether you play with a pick, or with your fingers it doesn't matter. It's still music. The bass community doesn't look down on someone just because of the style that they are playing in.

We are all musicians. We all create. We all have our own ideas, techniques, etc. Don't try to play like someone else. Play the way that feels most suitable to your needs. Feel free to experiment with new ideas and styles, but just stay with is best for YOU.

5. take your time play however its comfortable to you check out tommy shannons videocalled double trouble bass for some good techniqes
  6. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    it all depends on the sound. do whatever you think it should be...if you wanta slap sound than slap, pick than pick, its all up to you. peace
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Since you're just starting out with your fingers, it's very important to start SLOW. Speed will come with time and practice. After a certain amount of time, (and lots and lots of practice) you'll probably find that you can play faster with your fingers than a pick.

The most important thing to develop is the use of two fingers. Some people get by with one, but it's safe to know two, especially considering the type of music you want to play. And while some say it doesn't matter, I'm a believer that a stead alternating rythm of index-middle-index-middle finger is crucial. Just try basic scales at first, alternating the fingers, and be sure to do it SLOWLY and in time. When you can do it confidently at 60 bpm, bump it up a notch. That seems really slow to start with, but it will be difficult. Speed will come. Then, take your favorite pick line, and SLOW it down, playing it with your alternating fingers. Again, once you get really comfortable you can speed it up gradually, with the emphasis on gradually. I think you'll find that your fingers are much more versatile than the pick, but that's just me, so let's not get off topic.

Good luck!
  8. If you want to learn finger style coming from using a pick, just do what I did. Lose all of your picks. It happens to everbody, picks just disappear (my theory is that penguins steal them from you to use as ammo to take over the world). So once you have lost all of your picks, you HAVE to use your fingers.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you are writing bass lines for a bands songs...use a pick if there are 2 guitars or if you want to stand out more

If theres only one guitar...use fingers
  10. jnust to expand on what SD was saying, when i was first learning to play, i din't what the hell i was doing, i started strumming with my thumb, then i found that using my index finger was quicker... i then found a website that taught me to use two fingers, which was quicker still, and now, having read the posts here, alot of people say they use all four fingers on the right hand, which i am currently trying to get fast with... i'd advise you to give it a go with four fingers from early on in your finger-picking career, cos then it'll be like second nature...

of course, since i haven't been playing long enough to know how to teach quality techniques, i'd ask for the support of someone who knows what they're talking about before you take my word for it... :rolleyes:

keep it real, my hombre

simon a
  11. It seems that the majority thinks the same as I do, do what feels comfortable. It all depends on the sound you are looking for. I use picks on occasion, but usually stick with two or three fingers. Picks give a harder sound where fingers get a more mellow sound. But then again, Cliff Burton (R.I.P.) of Metallica played with his fingers, and I don't think Master of Puppets sounds mellow at all...
    There are a variety of sounds and styles are out there. Like everyone seems to be saying, it is best to learn how to play more than one style to add versatility to your playing.