Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me......an impossible equation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I have a problem that needs to be solved. Here´s the deal. I have a Hartke 3500 with a 410XL. This is a rig I´m pretty happy with. But this rig is really to big for me. Right now I live at my parents house (19 years old). But this autumn I´m going to move to a school campus(is that the right word?) or a small apartment. I bought this rig when i was about 14/15 and thougt that: A big rig is a good rig. Now I´m starting to get some gigs, but this rig is major overkill. Money is a big issue. I don´t have any money to spend on a new rig. I don´t know what to do. Shall I save money for a cheap practise/small gig combo? Sell my 410 and buy a small cab? Neo112 for example. The sad thing is that I sometimes wan´t to have that big rig.

1. I have a Hartke rig but no money.
    2. I need a small combo/rig
    3. I still want a big rig!!! What to do????

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy a 112 or 210, take the head, and leave the 410 at mom's.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1
    a tiny 1x15 like a bag end wouldnt be a bad idea either but it might be out of your price range.

4. But if you can, hang on to the big rig. Once you dump it you'll have a hard time getting something equivalent. That's been my experience. Of course, from my perspective, you're young & will likely go through several rigs- I hope so, anyways. Most important of all, turn up.

5. Since I live in Sweden Í hope that I can get a goo deal on a EBS 112. A small cab seems to be the right way to go.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I second the smaller cab, keep the rig idea. I'd opt of a 115 of some kind because you'd then have the option of pairing it with your 410 when you need a big rig that can push well at all points of the tonal spectrum. In my opinion a 410+115 is the almost perfect cab solution for most setups.