1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me avoid stupid mistakes in my schematics.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knegolf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi, I have been doing some drafts on some schematics for my new pickups. I am planning to use three 3P4T rotary switches to choose from series, single north, single south and parallel as well as using a third switch as a pickup selector.
    The schematics were just hand drawn with a ballpoint on some graph paper, but i hope it will be easy enough to understand.

I would be ever so grateful for comments on weather or not this is a viable solution to the type of switching I am after. Particularly when it comes to grounding and other things that can cause audible discrepancies.

The switches that I am going to use are the Electroswitch C4D0304Na-s non shorting.

Some clarification on the schematic:
    The numbers on top are just to help me remember which mode does what. 1=Parallel, 2=Single North, 3=Single South and 4=Series mode.
    The contact point labeled 1O+ Is the hot output of the Neck PU
    1O- Is the cold output, or ground of the Neck pickup, I didn't label it as ground since I believe that it needs to stay floating to be able to be wired in series with the other pickup.
    The Contact labeled 2O+ is the hot wire on the bridge, and the last point is obviously ground.

The things that I am not sure about is the approach of shorting the internal coils to their respective pickup ground when using single mode. Is this a good solution, or do I need to short them directly to the systems main ground point?
    And also, will the PU-Selector work if it is wired the way that i have drawn it?
    The outputs from the pickup selector will be wired through a pot and then straight out to the jack. And there will also be a Piezo wired in parallel on the jack with its own volume
    control.

Thankful for all the help I can get.

20sirmu.

2. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Ok. So i realize that the schematic is quite hard to read in an efficient way, so i redrew it using the old classic MS-Paint, i hope this will be a bit easier to understand and comment on. The connections are done the exact same way as before, but drawn in a bit more schematic-like fashion.

My questions are still the same, will this work? or have I done something silly?

23ijpu0.

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I don't play with a lot of coil switching and the likes, and this is hard to read on a phone.

BUT I like the neatness of your layouts.. its something I struggle with

4. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Thank you eddododo. Do you mean the neatness of the switching system or the schematics? If you mean the schematics, I can't really take credit for it since it is very inspired of a lot of other drawings i found on the net, plus i copy/pasted in a bunch of symbols given the limitations of Ms-Paint.