Help me become faster..please

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Jan 1, 2002.

1. I want to slap better but my right hand isn't that fast. Any good excersises where I can get faster with my right hand? And any lessons on slapping would be helpful. I want to learn more about it.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The main thing is to make sure your technique is facilitating speed.

Once you have that down, there are some tricks to the game that sound and look like they involve speed but are really more economy of motion and fingerings.

For both of these aspects, I strongly recommend you get your hands on this video IF you don't have a local teacher for slap (that's really the BEST way) -

"THE SLAP BASS PROGRAM with Alexis Skarevski -
    Comprehensive coverage of electric slap bass techniques including complex damping and choking, percussive tricks, funk-vamps, flamenco-style strumming, right-hand tapping, phrasing, and more. 83 min."

I got mine at www.elderly,com (had the best price I could find).

After that, it's having your head in the right place when you slap, IME.
  3. That is one expensive video. Anyway is the video for intermediate slappers.......I probably need like a slap bass for dummies type of video to get me started or is this video good for a beginner?
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The price reflects the fact it actually teaches unlike the $20 videos wherre some big name(s) wanking for 45 minutes. They are really more "entertainment" than instruction - you learn zip.

He starts out with the fundamentals, so I think a beginner can handle it well. The only thing is, you watch it only up to the point where you need to turn off the VCR and practice the lesson till you are ready to come back and go on. You may watch two minutes of it and practice what you saw for hours over several days in many sections before you can go on. There's little of this "turn it off for 45 minutes and then go on from where you left off."

The video is for people who really want to learn the technique and are in it for the long haul. It doesn't teach you "shortcuts" that let you fake it. Stick with it and I think you can honestly say, "Yeah, I can slap" at your next audition.

No it's not cheap. And it requires a lot of practice. That's how the game is played if you want to get somewhere. There are exceptions, (Ramones, U2, et al), but they're rare.
  5. Learn the songs slow, then work on speed. An example, I got the Flea video and learned to do "Get up and Jump" slow. Now I can play it full speed or faster. I need to find more cool slap songs now!
  6. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Practice, Scream, Practice, yell, and so on.

No, I'm not joking !!!

7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    not to take away from Rickbass1's post, but another good video on slap technique is Stu Hamm Slap, Pop, and Tap for Electric Bass.
  8. Fieldy got his name in high school.
    Coz of his "mass" they called him Garfield (you know, that fat cat)
    Then later on (coz Garfield is a kinda wussy name) they called him Fieldy (from Gar-FIELD + y)
    Then when he joined KoRn He adoped it as his stage name and added a sirname - Snuts. (as in feel deez nuts):D .
    Clever: NO
    Funny: SUPPOSE SO