Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me beef up my tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Apr 10, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I play a Warwick Corvette active 5 string. My highs are fine my mids are ok and my lows are ok. Can anyone suggest something to help me beef up my tone. Or should I just trade it in for something that can get me better mids and lows. Please respond especially if you have played a corvette 5 before. Thanx

2. Eq :confused:

3. Beleive it or not akajuve400g....I have some direct experiance with yer specific-like problem; I am your guy!
    Last year, I replaced the Bart's (p2's) in my '91 Dolphin5 w/ a full Alembic system. My bass now has the VOICE OF GOD but that's another story...Anyhoo...I sold the old system to a fellah with a (get this) Warwick Corvette active 5 string. Before hand, he had complained of how "hollow" his bass sounded and after watching him gig I had to agree. A sucky, thin and shallow tone. SO many player EQ the heck outta their rigs trying to remedy this when all they really have to consider is the simplest of solutions. He replaced his MEC system (you do know how much that stuff bites, riiiight?) with my old Bartolini system and.....watch out! I went to his next gig and what a world of difference. His tone was SO rich and full with a buttery, full midrange and blossoming lowend. I know these terms to be entirely subjective but pal, I witnessed first hand. That's your answer; new electronics. If your bass sound is sucky, no amount of processing is gonna help. He stuck my old Bartolini P2 soapbars in there...I'd suggest you do the same and lose that MEC crap.

4. I guess this should be in "Basses" huh? BF's gonna jump all over us...watch out!
    :p

5. I'm thinking basses too, and those kids in OT think they get allot of post that have nothing to do with the forum... Sorry if it belongs in a different forum. :rolleyes:

(P.S. don't be affraid to use the report to moderator feature at the bottem of each post.)

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I guess I would have to second what Mad Subwoofer said. Try some new pups in it.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    use more of the meat of your fingertip
    play closer to the fingerboard
    lower your action and play softer, turning up your amp

that right there should get you much closer.

8. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Thanx mad....What do you mean by Bartolini system.....like two jazz pickups, or like a preamp and everything? Where would you suggest I get this?

9. He means the whole shabang!

10. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    How can you fit soapbar pups in a jazz pup slot?

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bartolini makes soapbars that have the Jazz style configuration.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yamaha NE-1 EQ. Designed for Nathan East, and makes any bass sound better.

13. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Thick strings.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Take out the MEC´s , I agree on that.
    Im getting a Basslines set for my Warwick.
    Will report as soon as I get them.. (maybe 2 weeks)

15. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I definitely agree on the pickup suggestion. I've also heard that it's best to match the Bartolini pickups with the Bartolini preamp (they are designed to work best together).

If you're not in the position to afford that now, one thing I did to get the tone I wanted out of my corvette was to bypass the stock preamp and run through an outboard preamp. I used the Aguilar DB924. A friend used the SansAmp DI. Both are well received products.
    To bypass the stock preamp, pull up on your volume knob.

The advantage of the outboard preamp is that you can try those out before you buy.