Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me 'blue book' a bass...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piobaire, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire

Jan 8, 2003
    midwest
    If anyone is willing to help out, please contact me privately....

Thanks....

2. In my opinion, the blue books for musical equipment are a total waste of time and are only tools for music stores to rip off customers wanting to trade their equipment in for new stuff. The blue book once stated the "mint" used retail value of a SWR amp I had at $120, but I sold the amp in 4 hours for $550 and had 5 or 6 others in line if the deal fell through.
    Don't waste your time with blue books. Just look around at the going prices for things. The market determines the price, not some stupid book.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire

Jan 8, 2003
    midwest
    My biggest problem is, I can't find any basses like the one I want to part with to compare prices. It's 13-14 years old. I can't even find any on thorough net search.....maybe that answers my question....It's a good bass and plays well, I just want something different....

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Tell us what it is and someone here can probably help you out...

5. Piobaire

Piobaire

Jan 8, 2003
    midwest
    I've asked for info on it before....

...BC Rich STD III ('Strat'-style body), American made, Schaller tuners (I think), BadAss II bridge, P & J style pickups...excellent condition. Colour is 'arrest me red' I believe. Rosewood fretboard.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive seen the old 80's BC rich americans going for between 500-900. I dont theres much of a demand for those types of basses right now which is why they dont command the price that other american basses do.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What would I pay? That's hard, because I couldn't make much use of that bass.

If I were in the market for one...I'd expect a seller to ask for -
    in-the-shipping-box-mint: $900 / Reasonable 20 years of playing: $350.

I'm sure others would pay more, or less.

Check the dudepit or other on-line resale sites. Good luck

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yea, the drummer in my band owns a music store, I got to looking at his orion blue book one day, and found it quite comical. Spector NS-2a: $181, 20th anniversary Musicman Stingray was like $454. Of course we got into a debate about what it says, and I ended up offering him double the book on quite a few instruments in there he claimed were listed as accurate. Wonder why he couldn't produce? He showed me a bass he had bought off of a walk in last week. It is an Ibanez SR400, with the active preamp. He bought it off of some poor broke soul for $65, and told me his blue book says he should bring $300, within 90 days. I plugged it into my rig for a couple minutes, and I have to say I probably wouldn't give the $65 he paid for it. Through $3000+ worth of rig, it still sounded like ass no matter how you EQ'ed it. Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to make a point that blue books suck.

You might want to try going to ebay, and serching items completed. This will give you a good idea on actual internet value, if there have been any of the same sold recently on ebay.

Good luck with your sale (and stay away from the blue books!!!!!)