1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me brighten up my Reverend Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Reverend 5L, and a Brad Houser 5. I love the 5L. I bought the Houser 5 thinking it would like it better due to the different and "more options" pickup switching, but it's just not as bright as the 5L...I bought the Houser 5 new 2 weeks ago from a delaer that had it languishing on the shelf. Maybe I just need to replace the "several year old sitting on the shelf strings."
    Can anyone recommend a nice bright easy to play long lasting roundwound for a 35" scale?
    Thanks!

2. Hi-Beams

3. I noticed the same thing on my BH5 vs. my 4 string rumblefish. I use D'addario XL's on each though and love the tone. The BH5 is still not as bright as my 4 stringer but it is plenty acceptable. I was actually thinking about changing the capacitor on the tone knob to see if that changes things a bit.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had thought of seeing what tone pot was in there...250k or what....I could always change the value on that I suppose, but strings are easier:)