Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me brighten up my Reverend Brad Houser 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Reverend 5L, and a Brad Houser 5. I love the 5L. I bought the Houser 5 thinking it would like it better due to the different and "more options" pickup switching, but it's just not as bright as the 5L...I bought the Houser 5 new 2 weeks ago from a delaer that had it languishing on the shelf. Maybe I just need to replace the "several year old sitting on the shelf strings."
    Can anyone recommend a nice bright easy to play long lasting roundwound for a 35" scale?
    Thanks!

2. Hi-Beams

3. I noticed the same thing on my BH5 vs. my 4 string rumblefish. I use D'addario XL's on each though and love the tone. The BH5 is still not as bright as my 4 stringer but it is plenty acceptable. I was actually thinking about changing the capacitor on the tone knob to see if that changes things a bit.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had thought of seeing what tone pot was in there...250k or what....I could always change the value on that I suppose, but strings are easier:)