1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me build a G&L SB-1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Sep 26, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I'm thinking about a THIRD G&L (already have an L2000 and an M2000 - both awesome - see here). My initial thought was black finish, matching black headstock, tort guard, rosewood board. Pure evil, right? But I absolutely want a swamp ash body, mainly for weight, tone, and the fact that my other two G&Ls are both alder. It seems a waste to paint swamp ash straight black, especially considering swamp ash is a $75 upcharge and includes a "free" premier finish if you get it. Of these finishes, I'm not sure what to go with. I thought about maybe blackburst, also with tort/rosewood or maybe even tort/maple. Tort is pretty much a given for me, I don't particularly care for other pickguards that much (on any finish.)

Thoughts?

Other specs will be vintage (nickel) frets, #7 neck, satin maple neck. SB-1 pickups (obviously), all the standard hardware.

Man I love G&Ls. Bang for buck simply cannot be beat.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    1) Black and brown do not go together.

2) SB-2 + $10 worth of parts and some (100% reversible) soldering = SB-1 plus more.

:D

blackblacksb2-front.

This picture is from before I added the Master Vol and Tone control to mine. Only visual difference now is the 2 stock knobs are replaced with 2 stacked pot knob arrangements.

3. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Oh, and G&L Cherry Burst with matching head stock is pretty sweet...

IMG_0857.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    While I generally agree and prefer the look of black with maple the tort def. helps to tie the two together.

Are they still offering the black ice finishes? That with maple :hyper:

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hmm. That black SB-2 is downright evil looking in the most awesome of ways. That being said, I still dig black + rosewood but will consider both.

I'm pretty set on an SB-1 though. I briefly owned an SB-2 and didn't ever use the bridge pickup. Plus I really want a "P" - just 'cause.

Too bad they don't make a P/Humbucker though - SB1 neck pickup and monster G&L L2000 style bridge pickup. That would knock over buildings...

They do have black ice but but only on the L2000/M2000/ASAT, I think. I almost got a black ice M2000 originally but then decided, after talking to a few people, that I probably wouldn't like the texture of the finish. Looks amazing in photos though.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Or this one - with a matching headstock and no bridge pickup

[​IMG]

8. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Why not an ebony board, then?

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Ebony doesn't do well in the climate we have here in Nebraska. Very dry cold winters and very hot humid summers. Plus I prefer thew warm tone of rosewood.

10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Would you consider blueburst? It's pretty dark, and I think it might make for a better matching headstock with a rosewood board and a black pickguard.

11. I'd say forget a burst on a SB1. The pg will obscure a lot of the wood already and the burst will conceal even more at the edges. If you want show off that ash, go for a clear color. My top picks would be Blonde, Clear Forest Green, Clear Orange and Natural.

12. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I was thinking the same thing (natural would be my choice), but the OP seems to really like the black - even with the matching headstock.

13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah I really used to NOT like black but now I just dig it a lot with tort guard.

I just sold my black/tort/rosewood Fender, but that's only because I want to build another G&L. I just love G&Ls to death.

Blueburst, not my thing - not really into blue anything (except maybe daphne blue/sonic blue)

I think I'll probably go black. Or possibly just natural clear or blond translucent..I like both of those options w/ tort as well. We'll see.

14. The grain of a good swamp ash body is too pretty to paint. I'd leave it natural with a gloss finish, a black pick guard, and a maple fingerboard. It won't look evil but it will look like a classy high end bass.

15. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
  16. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Regarding natural and bursts: Rosewood boards look good with Tort.

150143679361-1.

(dig the matching headstock on this)

Maple boards look good with a black 'guard.

280267518537-6.

[​IMG]

:cool: (That last one is my L5000)

In terms of black, I think it looks best with maple...

P9050056_3555.

...but it doesn't look half bad with rosewood either matching headstock (another L5000)...

[​IMG]

Of course if you listen to me, you may end up designing something completely different than originally intended. Which may or may not be a good thing.

17. Swapped the SB-12 for a B-15 since this pic, but I will be holding onto this for quite a while. I wasn't looking for a green bass, and the only downside is playing with red guitars/drumsets makes it look like a christmas concert. Other than that, it's a great bass and trans forest green is a great looking color.

[​IMG]

18. ggvicviper

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    That is not a "great looking color". That is the perfect green.

19. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

OK, you've got evil covered with the graphite metallic. :) So to show off the swamp ash, I'm thinking honey. (I dig butterscotch and white blonde too, but not with rosewood.)

Bursts: G&L's tobacco burst is phenomenal; classic 3TSB rocks with tort and rosewood. I'm not a fan of cherry-, blue- or black-bursts.

JMHO! Have fun designing your perfect G&L.

20. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Touché. Was kinda thinking vintage blonde...which is...not evil :D

Honestly I've never been a huge burst guy. That green is gorgeous but I already have martini olive green sparkle on my fretless (which is why I am selling a DIFFERENT martini olive green sparkle body.)

Oh decisions. This G&L Generator is awesome!!! I am really glad I have the rest of the day off... now I can play with this!