1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me build a new stack.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jabberbox, Sep 22, 2008.

1. So, I've been playing an old Crate BT-350 through an SWR Goliath Sr...needless to say, I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm got about a $1200 budget. My bass is a custom a bought here on the forums. An SX body w/Mightymite neck and a Darkstar. I play mainly rock music..you can listen to the 2 bands I'm in here:

www.myspace.com/stepsonday
    www.myspace.com/norfolk

First is Nada Surf, Weezer influenced. The other Radiohead, Oasis, Travis sort of style.

So, what should amp should I buy??? Ashdown ABM500? LMII? And cab? A local guy I've been talking to might be selling a Schroeder 410 for less than $375.

I'm not clueless, but pretty close. I've always been a guitarist and took up the bass about 3 years ago. I fell in love.

Well, what do you suggest?

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    For the music you are playing, I'd stay away from the LMII.

I think the ashdown would be perfect. Pair it with a 410 or 212 cab of your liking, and there ya go. Not too experienced with Schroeders, but I have a feeling they aren't quite voiced for the sound you're going for. Nothing wrong with trying and seeing though.

3. anyone else have any ideas?

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Avatar Cab... Maybe a Eden head??

5. Anyone else?

6. ashdown abm500 or aguilar ag500?

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If it's in good shape grab that Schroeder 410!

8. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I'm a big fan of seperates; I use an Alembic F-1X and Carvin DCM2000.

9. You should buy a Tech 21 half stack (400 watts throught 4x10) and tell me how it sounds!!!

Costs right below your budget, and it's basically a sansamp, so it's great for rock.
    or, substitute the cab for an avatar 4x10

Also, used SVT + Avatar 4x10

or you can buy a Trace Elliot amp and just stare at all it's pretty lights.

you can also get a great GK half stack for $1200

Pretty much any combination of the higher end productions from the mid range dealers... GK, Markbass, Carvin, Traynor (with avatar)... all would sound great with your style of music.

This is what I go through when I'm on TB.