1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me build a PC for under $500

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Im pretty computer savvy and have built a computer before, but that was like 6 years ago. I am going to be ordering everything from www.tigerdirect.com. There are so many options to choose from regarding motherboard, processor, ram... How do i know what is decent stuff? Im not looking for a hard core gaming PC or anything, but i will be running some recording software, photoshop, and maybe an occasional game of CS.

2. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    large HD
    fast processor
    at least 2GB of ram

...if you're computer savvy though, you probably already know that.

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    You'll be recording, so you should aim for a fairly fast processor, a 7200 rpm hard drive, and as Connor said, at least 2 GB of ram. CS can do with pretty much any decent 3D card, so I guess the rest is up to you. Make sure the power supply is enough for the components :p

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For $500, are you looking to include the OS as well, or just hardware?

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Just hardware.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    My IT guy pulls some amazing deals off geeks.com for me.

7. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Do you have any parts you can reuse, like CD drives or cases or anything of that sort, so you can save money?

When I built my last computer I saved a good chunk by reusing a case and a couple of cd drives.

8. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am going to be reusing my cd/dvd drives, graphics card, hard drive (although ill probably buy another), and my case at the moment sucks, but im sure i could find another laying around my house.

9. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    what kind of video card will you be using .. I need to know so I know what chipset on the MB would suit you best

btw I recommend Newegg over Tigerdirect

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to build my PCs back in the day. These days, if you don't have specific needs such as video games, you're probably better off with an off-the-shelf system at low price points. I am extremely happy with an Emachines desktop I bought last year.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    www.tomshardware.com

I find going to a computer forum better than going to a bassists forum, for computer related advice, but that's just me and my quirky ways

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    You quirky you.