Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me build a rig! Schroeder cabinet +???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 10, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am getting the $$$ together to build a new rig. Getting tired of lugging the BAM around, it will be retired to church.

I am sold on Schroeder cabinets, although I haven't decided which model yet. I am trying to choose between the 1210 and the 21012. I want the articulation of the 10s, and the bottom of the 12.

I also need to put together a small rack. What preamps should I consider, and what kind of price should I expect to pay? I would also like a fairly lightweight power amp. What kind of wattage should I be looking for? I play loud rock, usually with PA support, but occasionally without. My guitarist has a Line 6 150 watt 2x12 combo and uses distortion most of the time, and my drummer is pretty loud.

I would like to keep the pre/power amp budget under $900, if possible.

Thanks for the help!

2. embellisher

Also, what about a Thunderfunk head? Is 400 watts RMS enough for either of these cabs? I am pretty sold on going with separate preamp/power amp, but the one head that intrigues me is the T'funk.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The 10s in the Schroeders are rated 350Ws.
    The 12s - 500W.

I dont know how power-hungry they are, but a 400W head for them in a loud band with a guitarist who's using a 150W amp... ;) You'll need 600Ws I think - that way you'll also have some headroom.

Pre? good question. Loud rock? What type - loud growly or loud dirty sound do you want?
    Some ideas:
    BBE Bmax
    Tech 21 RBI
    Ampeg SVP-Pro
    *insert other ideas*
    Look for these used.

Power amp? another good question. How heavy is too heavy? If you want something light, it'll usually cost more.
    Some more ideas:
    QSC
    Crest
    Crown
    Stewart

Good luck with your search.
    I have/will be getting:
    Ampeg SVP-BSP pre ("tube/SS hybrid")
    Crown XLS 402 II - arriving this weekend
    Schroeder 1210 (quite probably, at least) - I'll have the money for it around Oct/Nov...

Since you live in the US, you can get lots of these for cheaper, you have way more options and you can buy a lot more things used.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    jeff ur in for a treat my man. i am tipping the scales in my descision of wether to switch from epifani or not.i am honestly thinking about just gettng a power amp. no pre amp at all or going with something like the presonus tube pre thats like 99 bucks at gc. you have some killer basses, why not let the tone shine through?

5. embellisher

Thanks for the input, Jon. I am thinking something pretty transparent for a pre, such as a Demeter or Kern. What does the Presonus tube pre sound like?

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ur bass with a little warm fuzziness added. thas what brain had running when i tried out the schroeders. i think ur nord would KILL through that rig.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh: I feel ignored - am I on the ignore-list just because I dont like Britney Spears? :eyebrow:

8. embellisher

No, Frank, you are not ignored.

I want to be able to get loud growly sound, but it would be nice to be able to get loud, dirty sound too.

I would like a two channel, two input preamp, because my Nordstrand does not have as high of an output as my other basses. So I could set the gain for the Nordie on one channel, and for everything else on the other channel.

It looks like in power amps, the best bang for the buck without getting overly heavy is the Carvin DCM series. Anything else close in price and weight that I should consider?

9. embellisher

I would like the amp to be 30 lbs or less. Ideal would be 20 lbs, but I know that when you start getting that light, you are talking big $$$.

10. embellisher

Jon, that PreSonus is pretty intriguing! Does it have the ability to get pretty gritty? Is the clean sound pretty transparent? Is there a way to rack it?

The only thing that I worry about is EQ. Most of my basses have great preamps, but one that I use a lot, my Hamer 12 string, does not.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    When I was looking for a preamp, I was looking for a two-channel preamp, as well, but these things are rare. I had luck finding this SVP-BSP used. Actually, its not really what I was looking for, but its close. There's a tube at the input, and there's a clean SS channel and a SS overdriven channel. :meh: Billy Sheehan preferred the SS overdrive tone (actually, it is not really overdrive - its very hard distortion, I only use it in very small amounts), so thats why it is like this, I would've preferred a tube channel for OD. Anyway, its good. Smooth clean and can be combined with OD. Also stronger in very low frequencies (Bass pot is @ 40 Hz and there is an ultra lo button, @ 30Hz).
    I get a growly tone, but that might only be because i play a very growly bass. If you want very clean, defined and growly, then you might want to check out the GK 2001RBP

Another two-channel pre I've seen is from Peavey.
    I dont know about other pres, though, havent seen6heard about anything else 8at least that is still in production - like ADA went out of business and i think I've heard something about a good Yamaha pre that is long out of production))
    And having a Gain switch can replace the two inputs

As for power amps, I've heard good things about the Carvin, but they are not available here, so i have no experience with them.
    If you find a used QSC PLX for cheap, then I'd rather recommend that.

Other very light power amps are:
    Crest LT, ST - more expensive
    some Crowns - though they can get very heavy, too
    Stewart
    Lab.Gruppen - they are quite expensive, but if you find one used and cheap, then go for it!

So, to sum it up, check out the classifieds on TB, the used market and ebay and try to look for some of these.

12. For two channel pre's, I'd definitely look at the following three:

Peavey Max preamp (tube/ss with blend and crossover) - I think this pre is very underrated because of it's name. I'd put it up against anything.
    Ampeg BSP
    Sansamp RBI

Sounds like the Bmax might be too clean for you. The Kern's and Demeter's would be too clean as well. The Presonus (from what I've heard) doesn't do dirty at all.

Lightweight poweramps, I'd highly recommend the QSC Plx series. I got mine used for $500 (which is highly unusual...but they're out there), 23 lbs, very reliable, and you've got Bob Lee at your beck and call here at TB. You cannot put a price on that.

EDIT: I guess I didn't read mutantbassist's post (ignoring?) but great minds think alike re: the Peavey preamp and QSC used amps.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Stewart World 1.2 run about $600 brand new (Corey has them listed at $579)

1200 watts bridged into a 4 ohm Schroeder :smug: and only 11lbs

leaves you $300 to track down a pre.

14. embellisher

I am currently looking at a Carvin DCM600, Tech21 RBI, and rack case, all included in one low price. How do you think that will work with the 1210? Does the RBI sound as good clean as it does gritty?

Thanks again, everybody.:cool:

15. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    embellisher-i understand you were at the dfw gathering so i assume you live somewhere around here.i live in the dfw area.if you want to pm me ill give you my number.i have a 1210,and a 1212 at my house with another 1210(with the selinium horn) on the way.if you want to check them out you are more than welcome to.lo-freq has been by a few times and it might help in your decision making.

as for your power/pre search,im sold on the demeter/stewart combo.you can check that out too.ive been a demeter fan for years and i love the weight and wattage of the stewart(bassgear had a 2.1 the other day for $600).ive played power amps i liked as well as far as tone but not so much it was worth adding 50 lbs to the load.i thought jorgs rbi sounded good too.

hope that helps
    brian

16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Embellisher-Have you checked out my FS ad? I've got a PLX 2402, Bmax-T and a rack for sale...

17. embellisher

Scott, I saw your ad. How much does the PLX weigh? That is more power than I need, but I guess it's better to have more than no enough!:D What kind of sound is the BBE capable of?

18. PLX's weigh 21 lbs.

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    call brian at low end. it can get gritty more than just saturated nastiness. they also offer an overlapping parametric eq for the same price. the eureka from presonus rocks out but its a little pricy.

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, PLX weighs 21lbs. As for the Bmax, check out www.basstasters.com , and check it. It's got an amazing clean sound to it. Very smooth, and the compressor and sonic maximizer work great. We both have a Cirrus, and I my Bubinga 5 sounds amazing along with it. I've been playing my lakland alot more now, but the preamp is great. The amp+pre weigh about 30lbs together. Throw it in a rack bag, and you'd have a killer rack.