1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me build a small practice rig for my room

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Sep 1, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I need a small practice rig to have in my room (my room is pretty big).

I am looking for something pretty high end or that simply sounds great, I don't really have a budget.

Maybe a 1x12 or 1x10. 1x15 will be too much.

I will also need a head. I currently own a Mesa Big Block 750, but that stays in the rehearsal room. I think I need something less powerful for the bedroom.

Maybe a combo setup would also work.

I play a stingray 5 hh and a Sadowsky metro. I'm into bass tones from Tool, Pink Floyd and Alter Bridge.

Help, please!

I'm not sure where to start because I've never really owned a small rig.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a GK MB 150S combo for that type of use. It's a great little combo amp that will play at a respectable volume and it's small, light (26 lbs) and 150 watts (100 into the internal 12" speaker) but a bit on the expensive side-about $800 Canadian. I'm sure it'll last me 15 or 20 years it's built so well. It's about the smallest and lightest amp I'd use for a large room. But if you don't want something to also take out of that room for gigs that's not important.

There are a lot of others like Mark Bass, Genz Benz and Roland that could be used also but the GK sounds more like a bass amp to my ears. I picked it after careful testing of what I could find in the music stores. The little Roland 30 watt cube can sound pretty good but bottoms out easily if you push it and the programmed sounds sound synthetic to me.

Anyhow, that's what I'd recommend, but you should take your bass and try some out yourself as your ears and taste are probably different.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    off the top of my head I'd say Mesa Boogie: walkabout scout.

everytime I hear one I'm blown away by the clarity and ooomph! coming from one box...

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Mesa Walkabout Scout 12. And, it'll match your Big Block very well.