help me build my custom bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Feb 9, 2004.

1. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello all! It's been awhile since I last posted, but I still have the same dilemma that I had back then, with a difference now. I want to build a custom bass (well not build it myself, but have my friend, who is a wonderful luthier build it), and I'm not sure what specific details I want, thats where you come in :) .

I'll start by giving you some vague idea of the type of sound I want, and what few specifics I know so far.

*Six strings-seems like the perfect number to me.
    *Powerful, yet not too "rockish" in the low end- I guess that would mean not too midrangey? (btw please give any suggestions for woods and pickups that would help my sound)
    *Basically clear, basic, balanced tone throughout (I know I'm asking a lot , but please help)
    *At least 24 frets, I like to chord and solo(Jaco only needed a 18 or so fret 4-string :D )
    *Darker, rich (looking) tone woods, my friend can get good stuff, cheap (koa, Braz. rosewood!!!)
    *I like the idea of a solid, Anthony Jackson-esque single-cut (I LOVE his tone on Triangulo and Calle 54)
    *Most likely 36" scale length (no physical hand stretching problems, so unless this totally ruins the upper range (please comment on this), I'm decided)
    *I like the idea of really solid yet basic tone (again single pick-up like AJ perhaps). What is the sweet spot? I really don't know that much about electronics.
    *Neck Through (more sustain, right?)

Thank you very much for putting up with my questions and tedious stat spewing!

Please reply ASAP, and I will be ever so thankful!!! :hyper: