HELP ME Build My Dream Bass... I don't know what I'm doing :/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fernando Valdez, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Fernando Valdez

Fernando Valdez

Jun 1, 2021
    So i've been granted the amazing opportunity to have a custom bass built for me. Long story short, I met a really cool gentleman at my work and we got to chatting about music. Turns out, he used to build guitars for a living and was excited at the thought of diving back in so he's going to help me put this thing together. I just have to find out exactly it is what I want/need.

Basically, what I want is a semi-hollow body (ideally an es-335 like shape, and as thin and light) with a P-Bass neck, or something of similar dimensions. Now the problem I've run in to has been him telling me that the scales of Gibson-shaped bodies and Fender-style necks are simply not made to fit together.

So now I am on the hunt, because I have the utmost fate that someone, somewhere has made the parts I'm talking about and looking for. Now, I'm not super picky about specific brands or anything like that, I just want them to be quality parts and to meet those specifications described int the above paragraph.

I pray that there is someone on this forum that not only read through my ramblings - I'm sure I could have said just as much with less words - but also can point me in the direction. Thanks in advance if you are that person.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I’m sure the fine people in this club can help you out
    The Mediocre Builders Club

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I can't help you with parts sourcing, but methinks a semi hollow body with a Precision sized neck is going to be subject to neck dive unless you add some weight in the back end.

4. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Sounds like you're looking for a Fender Coronado bass, but with a Precision scale neck.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021