Help me build my new bass !!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geddyzbass, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Hey guys .... I am in the market for my own custom bass and as a rookie custom bass customer, I need some suggestions . I have a few specs that I know I want and cant be changed but I do need some assistance with some of the main components . I think im gonna submit the order to Dave Pushic when I get the money , so he will be the builder . Specs that I know I want :

6 String = Medium Gauge Rotosounds for strings
    Body : Design like a Wal Mach III
    Body Wood : Quilted Maple
    Color : Translucent 'Dark wine' color
    Fretboard : Ebony
    Scale : 34"
    String Spacings : I have become fond of the string spacings of the Yamaha RBX6JM , does anybody know the exact spacings ?
    Inlay : 2 abalone stars at the 12th
    Frets : Two octave 24 fret neck
    Hardware : Brass Bridge , gold hardware (need suggestions for good hardware )
    Electronics : Active EQ ; Volume , Pickup Pan , Bass boost/cut , Mid boost/Cut , Treble boost/cut (see below for suggestions)
    Headstock : Dave's 2nd standard headstock design .

As for some suggestions :

Whats a good wood for the neck ? What wood would compliment the Maple Body ? Is Dave's necks a Neck-Thru design or are they bolt on's or both ? If both what would be your choice ? I want an active Eq pickup configuration , but I have no idea what a top notch active pickup is right now , Ive heard great things about Bartolini's... Whadda you think about Bartolinis ? Also , given my choice of hardware , whats a good reputable brand of hardware that would compliment this bass ? If I think of any other questions ill post them later , thanks for your assistance guys !!!
  3. Thanks man , i appreciate any help . Anybody else with some good active pickup suggestions ?
  4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bartolini does make some active pickups. There's a J-style pickup that I can't remember the name of, and there might be others.
  5. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    first of all,, Bartolinis are top notch pickups,, passive or not!

About sculpting the body like a Wal Mach III,, it says straight up on Dave's website,, that he will not copy other companies designs.

Question; are you sure you are gonna be happy with a 34" scale for the B string? IMO it might not be tight enough to sound good.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    a well designed bass will have a tight B, 34" scale or not. warwicks, zons, and conklins are 3 very good examples.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    usa curbows are another example of an awesome 34" b ;)
  8. I know he will not copy a design , but I said" like a Wal Mach III" . I recall someone telling dave to make theres like a spector , and thats one of the most common and famous body designs in the bass playin world , but dave said "no problem" . I dont expect it to be down-to-the-tee like a wal mach 3 but a step in the same directions in terms of the way the cutaways are and the contour of the body .
  9. I prefer a 34" scale l, lets hope he can design it to be tight enough to sound good , i have faith in his workmanship .
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    - Neck: Rock maple, black walnut, purpleheart, ovangkol - these are the standards. Birch, hornbeam, beech and oak - these are the underdogs. Pick two or three and have Dave make a nice laminate (maple/walnut/hornbeam/walnut/maple!).
    - Body: Poplar for low weihgt and low range. Swamp ash or alder if you want "standard sound". Cherry, chestnut, elm - there are plenty to choose from. I'd go with poplar or cherry, depending on my mood at the time (wood for the mood!) ;)
    - Dave preferes the neck-thru, and so do I.
    - Barts are great! I recommend passive pups and active EQ. Thus, low batteries won't throw you off the stage. I think Bart or John East eq would be my choice.
    - Hardware...ABM. Schaller. Gotoh. Kluson and Grover, too, for tuners. I'd choose ABM, headless of course:cool: (though they do superb bridges for head tunes bass as well)