Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me build my new fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whisper, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Ok, here's the deal. I'm planning to put together a fretless bass and order all the parts. I currently have a Fender MIA Deluxe fretless but it has some problems with it, and we'll leave it at that. In terms of the music I play, jazz is my passion and I am going to university next year to study it. I love all forms of music though, country, rock, basically anything that grooves.

So, here are the parts I want to use, and my rationale in choosing them:

Body - Fender Accs. American Vintage 62J-Bass Body

I chose the Fender body because I dig the sunburst, nitro finish, and I don't think it gets more classic than that.

Neck - Moses Lined Fretless Graphite Neck

Where I live, there are some major temperature extremes. My fretless currently has an epoxy coating, because I dug through the rosewood in about a month (I play with roundwounds and practice ~4 hours a day, I will be playing even more when I enter university next year). I need a neck that will stand up to me playing it constantly, and won't move around with the weather. I've found two guys with the fretless neck, and in our email exchanges both of them highly recommended it.

Pickups - Dimarzio Ultra Jazz

From all the reviews I've read and people I've been in contact with, these seem to be the best hum-cancelling jazz pups out there.

Preamp - J-Retro

Direct drop-in for a jazz bass, and the sweepable mid frequency seems ideal for a fretless.

Bridge - Badass II (black)

The weight of this bridge should help to offset the slightly heavier Moses neck, plus I don't have to drill any different holes (the idea of drilling holes in a body I just bought scares me).

Tuning Machines - Hipshot Ultralite (no extender key) (black)

The neck is a bit heavy from what I hear, so these tuners have been recommended to me. Also, I have never needed to play in drop D on my fretless thus far, so I won't go for the extender key.

Neck plate, strap buttons, etc... nothing too different than the usual.

Well, these are the parts I'm planning to use. I have two things to ask of the TalkBass community:

1. What do you think of my part selection, and is there anything you would change?

2. Where is the best place to order any/all of these parts from?

Thanks for your time and input.

:bassist: :D

2. I wouldn't spend the money on a Fender body.

Try Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars, better quality and you could get nice tone woods if you want.

3. I second that.

4. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    I'll check out some other bodies, thanks. Any suggestions on what wood to use? I'm looking for a warm midrange, a singing, vocal sound, with harmonics that ring forever... if that is of help.

5. Just reiterating the warmoth or USA custom guitars idea. They make great stuff and do a good job finishing as well.

Only other thing is making sure all the parts fit- Neck with body, tuning machines with the neck, all the smaller details. Make sure the J-retro fits in whatever body and the pickups are routed to the correct size. Some places route for a smaller neck pickup, while others route same size.

Just in general go for the small details and you'll have an awsome instrument.