Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me build my Warmoth slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrazzyJoe, Jan 15, 2004.

1. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Hey, I have had a great deal of help here and have finally decided to make a warmoth. I would like any suggestions as far as everything goes for slappin'. I realize that there will be alot of differing opinions, but that is welcome. The look really doesn't matter to me. I would like it to be somewhat original, and I am sure I could work that out with the paint/finish. So body shape and pickup configuration, all welcome. I would most likely like a four string.

Any help?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get a nice SG body with a sidewinder pickup at the neck, and a nice shortscale neck.... :p

Why not get a hollow J?

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd go with swamp ash or alder body, maple neck, ebony (or maple) fretboard, Fender CS 60's pups and a J-retro.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    For slap sound, personally to me I haven't heard anything better than the old school swamp ash and maple, although korina on maple sounded pretty good too. I'd suggest going with the standard jazz pickups, CS60s are a great choice, and the J-Retro is simply amazing.

5. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Thanks. No care of the body? Just the wood etc? Or are we just assuming it be a J body?

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Jazz body gives you plenty of space for slapping, especially if you go with 20 frets. On a 4, that is my favorite setup.

7. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I would get a J body ash (with a nice top if you want) one of their all maple block inlay necks and use a J/MM set up with the alnico duncan MM and a J-retro pre...

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Swamp Ash Jazz body, maple fretboard, Fender Custom Shop pickups.

Tasty.

9. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    What do you reccomend as a top? I really have no experience or anything with tops, what difference does it make? Just look? This is going to take work to save up for, and I probably wont be able to afford another for a while, so I sort of want to go all out. :)

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    a friendly bump.

BTW: I was think about making a Slap bass too from warmoth. I was going to buy a body blank and make it myself. Good luck on your bass building.

11. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Sorry for the double-post, but where can you get Custom Shop pickups online? Thanks for all the help, and sorry for the stupid questions.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can get the Custom Shop pickups from Musician's Friend, and I think basspartsresource.com has them as well, but they only deal in PayPal.

The top really won't make a difference in the tone. You're only talking about a 1/4" or so of wood, so it won't have a huge impace. They are purty, though. :D

13. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I will post the specs in a while and if you could, please tell me if it all works out.

14. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    -Maple neck, ebony fretboard, stainless steal fretwire*
    -Swamp ash J body
    -Perloid Block Top
    -Perloid Block Top for pegehad
    -Custom Shop 60's J-Bass Pickups
    -J-retro preamp

*Is the cost for a "Bound and Blocked Special Run J.Bass® Neck" of 250 bucks on top of the other neck costs, I do not understand this option but wan't it.

Suggestions? Obviously I have hardware specifics and finishes to specify. However, that is the just of it. Is this all good? Any suggestions? Further suggestions on other things I left out? Bridge and other hardware reccomendations that work with this?

15. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    $250 is the cost of the neck. Re. bridges etc, I've used Fender NOS bridge (if you want traditional Fender sound), or you could use one of the high-mass bridges such as BadAss II, Gotoh 201 or 206, etc. I tried both types - both are good, bit give a different sound.

Hipshot Ultralights are a good tuner choice for Warmoth necks - I have no balance issues even though some say that Warmoth necks are heavy.

16. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Thanks, more reccomendations wanted.

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Sounds good. Do you have a source for the neck?

18. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Hey, what do you guys think of slapping (no pun intended) a Hipshot Bass Tremolo bridge on there?

19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    if you are willing to use it sure...

20. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I am. I have only briefly used a trem on bass and loved it, would like to get into it.