Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me buy a 5-stringer prrlease!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mint_Coffee, Aug 14, 2004.

Help me choose my new bass... prrrlease!

Poll closed Aug 21, 2004.
  1. Yamaha TRB 1005 (about 750€)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Yamaha RBX 775 (about 750€)

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Fender Mexico Deluxe (about 700€)

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Ibanez BTB 405 (about 550€)

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Ibanez EDC 715 (about 575€)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Ibanez EDB 605 (about 550€)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (available in Europe and in the price range…)

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Help me buy a 5-stringer prrlease!!!

Hi. I've recently picked up bass playing again, after almost 8 years without playing. I used to own a very nice Fender Jazz bass, which I ended up selling. :scowl: I kept only my first bass, a proud 1986 Peavey Patriot.

For obvious reasons, I’m after a new bass, and this time I want a “modern” sounding, active, 5-stringer. But I don’t want to spend that much right now. I just want a bass that can get me going, a learning tool, while I fatten my savings for a real killer bass.

After doing a little market research, and after considering both my budget and the availability (I live in Europe…), I’ve narrowed down my options to a few mid-priced basses:

- Yamaha TRB1005 (about 750€)

- Yamaha RBX775 (about 750€)

- MIM Fender J Bass Deluxe V (about 700€)

- Ibanez BTB405 (about 550€)

- Ibanez EDC715 (about 575€)

- Ibanez EDB605 (about 550€)

I used to play mostly heavier rock, but nowadays I’ve started to play a bit of everything, from fusion to funk to gothic to blues… And I would really want a bass that can keep up with it – good to slap, to finger-style or to tap (I love tapping!). I want a good flexible workhorse, capable of performing adequately in most styles.

So… help me out here. Which one would you recommend? Any others?

Thanks in advance to al TBers! :)

--- [EDIT] ---
    I think I'm too dumb to edit the poll... :eyebrow:
    The "Fender Mexico Deluxe" refers to a "MIM Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe V".

2. You've got some nice choices there.

My first bass is a Yamaha TRB6 and I love it. The TRBs have a bigger spacing than the RBX which you may like or dislike. I am not familiar with the 1005 model but if it is like the other TRBs, it may have better electronics than the RBX series.

Johann

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    No contest... get the BTB405! Hell, with one of those, you might not want to save up for a "real killer bass". :bassist:

4. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Thanks for your answers.

I've read some raving reviews of the BTB405... but I've also read somewhere that it's not really very suitable for tapping. Is this true?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector Professional Series.

6. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I know (from what I've heard here), that spectors are really great basses. But how does the professional series compares with the euro/us series? What kind of tone should I expect from one?

7. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Sorry to [BUMP!] but I really need to leech some more input from you guys... :smug:

I want to buy my new bass as soon as possible... help me out, will ya...

8. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I think I'll cross out the RBX 775 and the EDB 605. And I'm not that sure about the fender either...

But I think I'm going to add a spector legend 5 to the list.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Definitely cross off the RBX775. Plays really good but sounds like crap!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Professional Series are great basses for the money. Good, solid construction and i have found no faults in quality in mine. They didnt cut any real corners when they made it. The tone is very shapable with the EMG preamp but it usually has a throaty growly tone. Great lows and warm highs. It is easy to get a fat sound out of it too, if you solo the neck pickup.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'll second this...I have a Czech Built NS5CR and a Professional Series (Korean built) REX2000/5.......main difference between them (other than body shape....) is HZ pickups in the Korean as opposed to DC40 pickups in the Czech. The other difference is the Korean has a 35" scale whereas the Czech has a 34" scale (mine is a few years old!!!).

Sounds are great on both of them...output is quite hot, and tonal control is great.....if you can afford a Spector......go for it!

My only other suggestion not on your list would be a Musicman SUB 5 string - I own a 4 string active version, and am dying to try the 5 stringer to see how it is!

12. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    3rds here! My Spector Pro Q5 rocks. Really happy with it. Really hot signal and great tone variation. The neck is very comfortable. Great 5-string for the buck. But if you can swing a Czech (the Euro 5), go for it. Those are the sweetest.

13. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Wow... you guys are making me want to try out a spector really bad! :bassist: Thanks for all your input!

Unfortunately, my budget won't allow a czech... But they sure look sweet. I'm definitely putting a legend 5 on my shortlist.

This shortlist (for now) is:

- Spector Professional Legend 5

- Yamaha TRB 1005

- Ibanez BTB 405

- MIM Fender J Bass Deluxe V *(Not sure about this one...)

I'm not really that sure about the fender. I never liked them very much (for no particular reason, to be honest), but I always figured that sometime in the future, I would end up buying one. But if I'm going to buy a J, I think I should buy the "real thing", a 4 string MIA passive JBass.

Moreover, I'm not very happy with the smaller body of the deluxe.

And what about the Yamaha? It seems that few people have had any experience with it. Is it a worthy successor of the TRB series?

Thanks for all your answers :smug:

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

It's not the easiest bass to tap on (as the strings are quite far apart) but it's sure as hell suitable. If you practise enough, you can tap on any decent bass. But I definitely notice that my SR500 is much easier to tap on.

15. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I feel the same way about MM's as I feel towards Fender J's: They're not my cup-of-tea, but I will eventually buy one. But when I do, I wan't the Real McCoy! :D Still, I'm sure that the SUB 5 is really sweet too. It's just that ALL MM's are obscenely overpriced around here... :(

16. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I think I'm getting into the Spector craze. Not that I have made up my mind just yet, but I was really looking forward to try one out.

I called the spector dealer here in Portugal today, and to my surprise... they don't represent them anymore! :(

It seems that if I want a spector legend 5, I'll have to either hunt down one in the shops (that could prove rather difficult, since I don't have that kind of time...), or buy one online, without even trying it.

I'm not so sure I should buy a Spector Legend 5 online, without even ever trying one. But on the other hand, you speak so highly of it... decisions, decisions... :meh:

I do like the Yamaha... and the BTB... My head hurts.

17. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach

18. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Lackland's sure are very good basses, no doubt about it. The only problem is that in Europe, these babies are expensive - never under 1100€, at least -, and I'm not ready to spend that much right now.

19. I play a BTB406, and i choose it over the TRB-6II...

On this bass i play any style of music using any kinda technique.

Tapping wasnt a problem for me.. but i have a Spector Euro neck through now, and all slapping and tapping is done on that bass.. Any normal finger style playing is left to the BTB.

hope that helps.

20. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Bro! There is nothing to say that you have to buy it in Europe. You can always purchase it from the States. You will still have to pay shipping and duties but I am sure that I would be cheaper than buying it from a dealer where you are in Portugal. Feel free to contact me. BTW; I also own an Ibanez BTB405 and that thing just Rocks. I would certainly take it over the EDB. The Yamahas are also good choices. I own an RBX775 (I posted a review on it.) That is also a great bass for the money. :)