Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me buy a bass in Europe.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyJams, May 24, 2005.

1. I'm moving to Prague in July to teach English. The plan is to stay for a year. However, I'm not going to be in the CR until August. I'll definitely be buying a bass, I'm just not sure when I want to get it. I'll be in London for a few days, then in Greece for a few weeks, and finally I'll go on to Prague. I can't imagine going a month without a bass, so I'll probably want it before I get to Prague, but I'm willing to wait if it helps the price enough. Where do I look? What kind of prices am I looking at? Can I get a good price on a Warwick that close to Germany? Any advice is appreciated.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Save yourself at least 50% of the purchase price and buy it before you go. No dissin my Czech brothers but the selection and price in the U.S. cannot be beat period.

3. yeah... but taking it over there is one more thing to lug around when I'll already have lots of luggage to be toting.

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    +1 from Czech bassist..

Take it with you and bring one for me too :D
    If you insist spending unnecessary dough, check www.station-music.de (three hours drive from Prague)

Feel free to PM if you need any Czech info, good luck!

Edit: I understood you need some boutique stuff, right? Apart from that here is quite good selection of basses..
    Now thinking about it again, you can most likely get better prices in Czech than in Germany or UK, don't know about Greece, though. Admittedly still higher than in US.

5. Actually, Warwick willb e a lot cheaper in germany than in the us, i figure.

I can recommend Sandberg basses to you, you should check 'em out on www.sandber-gguitars.com.

If you want to spend some more bucks,you could get a mayones-bass custom-built... ithink it's a czechian, or polish manufaturer.

6. Hi nemo,

What do you feel about avbasses or fokus : Czech basses ?

7. Nope, even Warwicks are cheaper in the US, although you may have more choice if you shop around in Germany!

8. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I would have thought with the dollar being so weak against the euro, pound that it is cheaper to buy in the States.

I know a lot of folks who want new guitars are going to the states to get them as they can pick up the same guitar for nearly half the price.

9. john flipcycle

john flipcycle

Oct 13, 2004
    Reading UK
    Partner, The Strat Shack www.thestratshack.co.uk
    If you have the time in London you MUST visit 2 of the best bass shops in the UK. www.thebassgallery.com in camden town and www.basscentre.com over near liverpool street. The gallery is my faverate of the two due to its fantastic service and range of rare and unusual stuff. The bass centre is much much bigger and offers a bigger range still with good service but it isnt the same somehow as going to the gallery.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Buy stateside and bring it across with you. Mail it to a TB'r in CR and pickup it up on arrival. Play it while there, then sell it for 30-40% more than you paid for it.

Gear prices here are high. Stupid high. In Switzerland a good new MIM Jazz bass will sell for around USD 700-800.

Seriously.....buy in the states and mail it to one of the TB's. Do it on the condition that they set you up with their sister or some other mutually agreeable terms. :D

11. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi nanook, I wouldn't consider Fokus to be Czech basses, they are built somewhere in Asia and provided with Czech electronics and branded as Czech, their build quality is very low - sharp fret edges, poor woods, no setup.. with corresponding low prices. However, they are trying to pick up recently...
    OTOH AV basses are fine handcrafted by one luthier, I played two and liked them.
    There are some other fine luthiers here worth mentioning:

Czech:
    AV bass - http://www.volny.cz/avbasses/
    Mazl - http://www.mazl.cz/ - pretty good!
    K&K - http://www.bassguitars.cz/
    Slovak:
    Greben - http://www.kamilgreben.sk/
    Sivcak - http://www.sollerguitars.com/ - very good ones!

Back to original post, yes, dollar is weak and prices are cool, but the problem is that USPS won't ship here basses from US, as their length limit for our country is too small. But they do allow larger lengths for shipments to Austria, Germany, Netherland.. what a discrimination!! The only workaround is to have some friend there and let it ship to them and then pick it up.. but still a large saving is possible
    bmc:

So I concur, buy some fine bass in States, bring it here and then later sell it to me for that low price :D
    My sister is married, though, what about some beer?

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I just went to the Bass Centre website and they have a Jazz Aerodyne for USD $1,277.00. They also have a Fender USA Jazz S1 R/W Sunburst for USD $1,716.00.

Need more convincing to buy stateside?

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Buying a locally hand made bass is not a bad option either. CR has a long long history of excellent craftsman. The downside, of course, is if you ever try to sell it back home, it can be a real challenge and you could loose money on it.

14. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 on the above. But only if you must. Everything is cheaper in the States. I've bought my last 6 guitars/basses and imported them into the UK. Even with with the shipping, import duty and 17.5% sales tax in the UK its still cheaper to buy instruments from the states. Bring a bass with you or pay through the nose.......

15. But that surely doesn't count for smaller european bass-manufaturers... does it?

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    HeavyJams,

If you really don't want to (or cannot) get a bass before your move, then Musik Produktiv is your friend :

http://www.musik-produktiv.de

Cheers
    JL

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "yeah... but taking it over there is one more thing to lug around when I'll already have lots of luggage to be toting."

If you buy it new before you go, have the store pack it properly and have it shipped. The couple of hundred you are going to pay for shipping will be money well spent because you will still end up saving big money. Some stores would even package and ship it for you. :eyebrow:

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hey...tell ya what. I'm not in Prague. I'm in Geneva. If you want to ship something here, I will gladly store it for you. I won't even open the box. Just leave in it's shipping box. Send it snail mail for the cheapest rates. There will be cutoms charges, but we can figure that out.

Once you get over here, we can figure out how to get it into Prague for you. My wife will kill me, but it won't be the first time.

So...there's an option for you. I can provide a couple of TB references for you to put your heart at ease.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you purchase a bolt-on bass, could you work around this by sending the body and the neck in different packasges? It would make it a lot shorter.

heavyJams, where in Prague are you moving to? I have a friend living in Prague- he's a musician/artist in a group called Suburban Death Squad going under the name King Vitamin.

20. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Cool idea!! Kicking my GAS wheel back again.. :D